Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BGKYMH
Channel Surfer

Remote IR stops working intermittently again

So after three weeks of no problems and receiving an email that the issue was fixed, the intermittent problem of the remote not controlling the volume or power on my LG OLED tv is back. Please advise on next move. Thank you. 

65FE21E4-2451-4D6A-9A4E-078F0739DBC5.jpeg

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Remote IR stops working intermittently again

Hi @BGKYMH 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried all the possible troubleshooting steps in this support link: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working? Please let us know. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BGKYMH
Channel Surfer

Yes I have. My remote just went three weeks without one incident of this problem. In case you are not up to speed with the IR problem, the remote will be fine then for no reason it will not operate the tv volume or power functions. Then less than a minute later it will be fine again. 
Roku posted a few weeks ago that they had corrected this problem with no explanation about it. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@BGKYMH 

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Steamjunk
Reel Rookie

Hello @RokuKariza-D  I have the same issue as the other user.

My IR remote worked fine for a while, then several months ago it started to intermittently stop controlling the volume and power on my Samsung TV. It will work again a while later, but usually only for a few seconds before it stops again.

The timeline described by the other user roughly matches my own. It worked correctly for a while starting a couple weeks ago, then the issue returned after working for a few weeks. Perhaps it came and went with a software update?

I have done all recommended troubleshooting and this seems to be an issue with the device/remote.

Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

I have a Roku Ultra model 4802X

The remote is Model RC-MC1.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Steamjunk

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

We're here to help. To clarify, does the affected remote come with your Roku device? Do you have a simple or voice Roku remote? Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device paired to your Roku remote? Each Roku player has its serial number or device ID printed on the bottom or back of the product.

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Steamjunk
Reel Rookie

It is a voice remote that came with the device. My serial number is SODA223N11YE

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Problem: Roku Voice Remote intermittently loses ability to send infrared Volume, Mute, and Power commands to the TV

I've never experienced this problem with any of my Voice Remotes, but it has been reported that updating to the latest remote firmware version can fix the intermittent IR command problem. This can be done via a Roku "secret menu".

Caveat: So-called "secret menus" are not officially supported by Roku. They may not work with all Roku models, and they may be discontinued at any time.

1) Go to the "secret" Platform Menu. To do this, hit the these buttons in sequence: Home five times, FF, Pause, RW, Pause, FF

2) Go to RF Remote Menu

3) Go to Over The Air (OTA) Update Menu

4) Go to OTA Firmware Update

5) Update the firmware

6) Exit

Solution source: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes/Roku-Voice-Remote-TV-Controls-Stop-Working-Potential-Fix/m-p/8...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Steamjunk

Thanks for the information. 

For troubleshooting purposes, could you try the suggested steps posted by @makaiguy? Keep us posted on how it goes. 

We'll keep an eye on your update. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Steamjunk
Reel Rookie

I have tried the steps and have updated the remote's firmware. It appears to be working now though I haven't tested it too much. 

I will post again if it happens again but it seems to be fixed for now!

Thanks!

0 Kudos