Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

Power, volume and mute buttons stopped working on 3 different TVs after working perfectly for 2 year

I bought 3 Roku Ulta+ about 2 years ago. Installed easily and have worked flawlessly. Today I was replacing all remote batteries and discovered that the remotes now longer function correctly. After manually turning on the TV the Roku boots up and I can navigate and stream. However, after performing all the tedious restarts, pairing, deposing and changing batteries I am tired. I have had one of the remotes give me hope and will function correctly for a moment only to stop after one or two uses. The icon for the remote randomly appears in the upper right corner showing ample battery power. Reading scores of pages on this issue have not reaped any benefits. There is never a thread that gives a solution to the problem. Can I please get some help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

Re: Power, volume and mute buttons stopped working on 3 different TVs after working perfectly for 2

My bad: Roku Express 4K+

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Power, volume and mute buttons stopped working on 3 different TVs after working perfectly for 2

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Krammatt!

We understand the issues you are facing with pairing your Roku Ultra remote. We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting, and we're here to provide our support and assistance.

Please be advised that we have different types of remotes and the process for pairing them to the device may vary.

If you are experiencing issues with repairing your remote, we highly suggest unplugging the device and plugging it into a different HDMI port. After doing so, please attempt to pair the remote again using the provided instructions below.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your voice remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Wait 5 seconds and then reinsert the batteries
  4. If your remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds or until the status light begins to flash.
  5. If your remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold both the Home and Back buttons for 5 seconds or until the status light flashes.
  6. If the status light does not flash, try replacing the batteries.
  7. Wait 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

For further assistance in repairing your remote please visit our support page on How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Please keep us updated on how it goes.
Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

This did not work. Device(model 3941X Roku Express 4K) with s/n X01600817YLU and software version 12.5.2 build 4174-CR says the remote is in use but when pairing with TV I hear the music with every setting the device tries. Same thing happens with the other 2 in the house. Please advise. From what I have read on this community the version 12.5 is suspect. 

0 Kudos
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

Just spent an hour with 2 different “people” and both ended the chat before anything was resolved. Still cannot turn TV on nor off, adjust volume, or mute. Please need help. Has to be software/firmware issue since all three of my devices have the same problem 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Krammatt,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Have you tried to connect your Roku device to an alternative wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue? If you see something different, can you please let us know what you are seeing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

I have 2 WiFi bands and same problems with both. How can it be a WiFi issuing the problem is with the IR capability of the remote?  I actually changed remotes to different devices today and went through the power down and repair sequences. One TV briefly showed some hope by powering on and of once but volume never worked. This has to be a software/firmware issue with it affecting these devices only. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Krammatt,

Thank you for the updates!

We'd love to further investigate this issue that you have with the Roku remote since the battery percentage keeps popping up. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

Once we have these details, we will pass them along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Krammatt
Channel Surfer

Model 3941X-Roku Express 4K+
s/n X01600817YLU

version 12.5.5 build 4174-CR

GC version 11.2.23

issue ID LU-136-562

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Krammatt,

Thank you for the additional information!

We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos