Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Malicious Fake Roku Remote

I am seeing what appears to be an OEM Roku IR Remote on eBay with a model number supposedly “Roku RC41 3226000117”.

I purchased one and attempted to pair it to a Roku2 using the pairing button and it failed multiple times.  At that point,  I noticed it did not have any IR window and appears to be a wireless only remote.  After several minutes of the remote not working, it suddenly started to control the Roku.

I looked all over the Roku site and old Roku marketing materials and can find no mention that Roku ever made a basic (non-mic) remote that was WiFi based and not IR.  Secondly, the remote failed to pair multiple times using the recommended method in the Roku settings, even after a reboot.  Finally, it occurred to me that if a remote is given the network name and WiFi password from the Roku2 in order to be in the WiFi network and control the Roku, then the remote technically has internet access and can potentially scan for other devices or open a port to the outside world.

Can anyone confirm if Roku ever made a remote that was basic without IR?  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Possible Malicious Fake Roku Remote

Yep, I have several.  Roku 2's were the only Roku devices that used a Bluetooth remote.  You probably have a Wi-Fi direct remote that won't pair to any of the Roku 2 models.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Possible Malicious Fake Roku Remote

The RC41 remote was the original remote that came with 3500 stick, stick don't accept IR only wifi. And there isn't tv controls on the remote, so it had no reason for IR at all. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos