Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sadydog
Reel Rookie

Pairing a remote without a pairing button

I recently bought a new Samsung tv.  The Roku device was preventing the tv from powering off using the tv remote.  The Samsung tech said to return to the main Roku menu (because my Roku remote does not have a power on/off button) before powering off the tv.  Sometimes that works and other times it doesn’t.  So I bought a new Roku remote with a power on/off button from the Roku web site.  It does not have a pair button.  I cannot get it to pair with the Roku.  I have tried all the published suggestions for pairing the remote and nothing has worked.  Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pairing a remote without a pairing button

@Sadydog-

Which remote did you purchase? 

TV remote.jpgIf it is the Roku TV Remote with a crescent moon sleep function key below the purple directional keys, that is the wrong remote. It is for Roku TVs (sets with Roku functions built in).  It can't be used with Roku streaming devices because  Roku TVs use a different command set than other Roku products.  It controls by direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) and does not need to be paired (in fact it can't be), so there is no pairing button.

You already have the Roku Players remote (formerly called the Simple remote) that came with your Roku.  It is also an IR remote that is not paired, and has no power, volume, or mute keys.

a.jpgAny of the three Voice Remotes have power, volume, and mute keys that can be configured to control the TV.  They connect to the Roku via WiFi instead of IR and must be paired to the Roku they are to control.  Some of these have pairing buttons.  For those that don't, to enter pairing mode, press and hold both the BACK and HOME buttons near the top of the remote for 5 seconds or more.
Reference: https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Sadydog
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response.  Yes, it is a Roku tv remote.  Does Roku offer return/refund since my new remote does not work as I intended it to do?  Will a Roku voice remote work for what I want?  To be able to turn off the Roku?  

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Sadydog,

Thanks for your post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you purchased the wrong remote for your Roku device, which controls the power and volume of your TV. We are pleased to assist you.

Regarding returning your newly purchased Roku remote, we have sent you a private message to request personal information and to assist you further.

Roku Voice Remote has a push-to-talk button that lets you search, play entertainment, and more with your voice. It also has TV power and volume buttons, so you can easily stream with just one remote. The remote connects over a wireless network, which means it does not have to be pointed directly at your streaming player or TV to work.

For more information on how to set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV's power and volume, please check here: How to set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
Strega2
Roku Guru

Keep in mind that the power button on a Roku remote sends the power code to the TV – not to the Roku.  Rokus don’t have an on/off state.  (Though they do have an optional low power state after a period of inactivity.)  In other words, I would expect the power button on a Roku remote to do exactly what the power button on the TV remote does.

I would try turning 1-touch play off in the Roku, and/or CEC off in the TV as a first step. 

I think Samsung calls HDMI-CEC “Anynet”.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.