Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CLS66
Reel Rookie

Old remote and new remote won’t pair to streambar

Have a Roku streambar a little over a year old. Remote stopped working. Researched internet and tried multiple ways to pair. Nothing worked. Chatted with Roku for about 3 hours trying everything they could suggest, many of which I had already tried multiple times. Finally they said I needed a new remote. This was why I chatted in the first place to try and confirm I needed a new remote. Bought a new Roku remote. Only difference between the old and new was the location of the microphone. Both are voice remotes with regular batteries. Old one had the pairing buttons in the battery compartment. The new remote just has you hold the home button and return button together for 5 seconds to pair. New remote won’t pair. Although sometimes it will work but not all of the functions. Have to aim at the tv. Voice will not work. Pairing light constantly blinks. Streambar works fine with the app remote. Really want a remote to work. Would a factory reset be worth a try to fix the problem? Or do I need a complete new set, streambar and remote? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Old remote and new remote won’t pair to streambar

Hi @CLS66,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

To fix this issue, kindly try to use new sets of fresh batteries on your new remote and remove the batteries from your old remote. Set it aside so that it does not interfere with the pairing process of your new remote. Also, kindly perform these steps on your device to pair it successfully:

Put your streaming device in pairing mode.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Re-connect the power cable.
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen.
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode.

1. Press and hold the Home and Back buttons on your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button, and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the Home and Back buttons for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

For more help, you can browse this article: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

Let us know how this works.

Warm regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CLS66
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the advice. I followed your directions. Put new batteries in the new remote. Put my streambar device in pairing mode. Set a timer to be sure the wait was 60 seconds. Put my voice remote in pairing mode by pressing and holding the Home and Back button for 20 seconds. Again used a timer. The status light flashed green. The timing was like someone counting: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Not sure if that is the slowly flashing or not. The status light never stopped blinking at all. So it never began flashing rapidly. It finally stopped blinking and none of the keys would work to control anything at that time. When you press any key, the status light starts to blink again.  When trying this, I have removed the batteries from the old remote. I have also forget this device on the phone so the app remote would not be connected. I turned off all Wi-Fi devices, including phones, except for our computer.  I have the new remote that is trying to pair right next to the Samsung box that has the tv connections like the HDMI arc to the streambar. Anymore thoughts! Thanks! 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CLS66,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting your Roku remote to connect with your Roku Streambar. Since all pairing steps have been performed, we recommend factory resetting your device and then pairing the remote during the activation setup. Please be aware that factory resetting the Roku device will require you to re-activate the device and may ask for you to re-authenticate some channels.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset on a Roku device, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your streaming device

Please keep us posted on what you find out so we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CLS66
Reel Rookie

I was a little hesitant  to try the factory resetting of the device.  I had already researched about doing that as a last resort.  So, as a last resort, I did do the factory reset and started from scratch setting it all back up. We didn't have a whole lot involved in it to have to set back up.  Wasn't really sure about answering questions in the set up process but apparently I answered everything correctly and it was all back up and running in no time at all.  Since I had to do a reset and wasn't sure at that point if the old remote was really bad or not, I took the batteries out of the new remote and put batteries in the old remote and tried the pairing button at the time it showed to do the remote.  The pairing light on the old remote wouldn't even come on.  So took the batteries out of the old remote, put batteries in the new remote and it paired immediately.  Old remote is trashed.  Thank you very much for all the help. We are back up and in good working order. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.