Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a New Roku Remote Control for LG Smart TV?

I have a new LG Smart TV and a Roku Remote Control that is set up to another television. Do I need to purchase a new Roku Remote for an easy set up, and will that generate any additional monthly costs?

8 REPLIES 8
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Need a New Roku Remote Control for LG Smart TV?

You have to go into the Roku device settings and reprogram the remote for your LG brand tv. You can't do a thing with just LG tv and Roku remote, you have to use the Roku device menu to reprogram the remote. What model of Roku do you have? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Well, I would like to make my life easier and get a second remote since the LG remote will not operate the Roku app. Hence, can I just buy a second Roku remote for the new LG television and use the same login creds and not have any additional Roku charges (other than the one-time cost for the remote)?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Is this LG TV a Roku TV? With built-in Roku? Does the on-screen graphics say  Roku? A Roku is not generic team for smart device, it is its own brand and it's remote only controls them. 

Roku doesn't sell Roku tv IR remotes, you have to get them from the tv manufacturer. The Roku Voice wifi remote can be paired with Roku tv, it's sold separately  at Walmart or best buy. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
atc98092

@rlwilson1226 wrote:

Well, I would like to make my life easier and get a second remote since the LG remote will not operate the Roku app. Hence, can I just buy a second Roku remote for the new LG television and use the same login creds and not have any additional Roku charges (other than the one-time cost for the remote)?

There are never any ongoing costs for Roku hardware. But remember that the LG remote cannot control the Roku, and the Roku remote can only control the volume and power of the LG. You're always going to need two remotes for the two devices, unless the only thing you ever use the LG for is to display the Roku. If you want to watch OTA TV, or something else connected to the LG, you will still need the LG remote to control the TV. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Hisense and Sharp Roku tv IR remotes use the same IR code set as LG non-Roku tv's, no programming is needed. If OP got hold of Roku tv remote that just happened to control his LG tv be coincidence, he can buy a used Hisense or sharp Roku tv IR remote on ebay cheap. 

Edmund

0 Kudos

This is an LG television and apparently Roku does not have a  partnership setup with LG. Hence, I do need a Roku remote to access and operate the Roku app on my new LG television. So, I'm guessing I can just buy a new Roku remote for the new LG television. And no extra subscription fees, correct?

0 Kudos

It looks like the answers to my question have been provided:
1. There are never any ongoing costs for Roku hardware.
2. Roku doesn't sell Roku tv IR remotes, you have to get them from the tv manufacturer. The Roku Voice wifi remote can be paired with Roku tv, it's sold separately at Walmart or best buy.

Many thanks, everyone!  👍

0 Kudos
atc98092

@rlwilson1226 wrote:

This is an LG television and apparently Roku does not have a  partnership setup with LG. Hence, I do need a Roku remote to access and operate the Roku app on my new LG television. So, I'm guessing I can just buy a new Roku remote for the new LG television. And no extra subscription fees, correct?

OK, wait a minute. You are referring to the Roku app that is on the TV itself, not a standalone Roku player? There's no need for a Roku remote, as those are only for the players. Your LG TV remote is all you need for the Roku app that runs on your Smart TV's operating system.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos