Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottyxb08

Re: LG smart remote to control Roku

Jump to solution

Hello! Any chance you have found a successful solution to this problem. I got a new LG c1 Oled today and my SS+ connected the first time but now it won’t. It says it’s set to control it but doesn’t actually work. Any updates would be super helpful!

thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Scottyxb08

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify your inquiry? What exactly are you trying to do?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nolapawn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have long since given up. Hope this comes back to life through future software updates.

0 Kudos
Midnight_Voice
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

LG Magic Remotes have a repertoire of devices that LG claims they can control.

The Roku Streaming Stick + is in that repertoire.

If you read back in this thread, you will see it explained that the SS+ works on Roku proprietary RF, and that the Magic Remote, described variously as working on IR, and maybe Bluetooth as well, can’t possibly control the SS+.

This has been my experience, but others here have reported intermittent success with the Magic Remote and the SS+.

So we are variously wondering if the SS+ will respond to IR, or Bluetooth, or what, as well as RF from its own dedicated remote, or if the LG Magic Remote can get to the SS+ via WiFi like the Roku app can.

I asked LG for some clarification here, but did not get any. Perhaps if Roku themselves asked, we might have better luck.

Certainly, the LG Magic Remote works my Roku Expresses a treat, with the only limitation being that I don’t know what you press, if anything, to emulate the Roku * (Options) button when using the Magic Remote.

0 Kudos
ATMone
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the LG C2 55 and a Roku 4k streaming stick 2021 .

at 1st I was able to control the Roku with the magic remote ,but after a few days it stoped.

tried everything, gave. Up . Today I turned on the LG C2 and it auto setup the Roku on the magic remote and worked again for only a few hours.

what gives?

0 Kudos
VFK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have an LG OLED 2020 model (WebOS 5.4.1-10) and a Roku UltraLT connected to the HDMI-1. The only reason I'm using the Roku is because there's no Spectrum app for WebOS. I had no problems configuring my magic remote to control the UltraLT. I think the TV found the Roku by itself and configured the remote, but I deleted it at some point and configured manually. Here are the steps.

1. In the home dashboard select the input that Roku is connected to. It should display in the middle with the current stream running. There's an icon on the top of that window that looks like a circle with a disconnected plug. When you hover the remote pointer over it, it will say Universal Connect Settings. Click it.

2. In the Universal Control Setting screen select connect new device and follow instructions. It should have no issues to identify and configure your remote for the discovered Roku. If you have troubles, try manually by selecting the input and follow the prompts.

Hope this works for you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4K in October 2022 and just purchased a 65 inch LG C2 OLED Television. The LG tv sent software enabled the LG Magic remote to operate the Roku Streaming Stick. The adjustment was made on the television screen. I cannot provide the specific procedures but it works!  The IPhone Roku remote app also works.

0 Kudos
Mensh

Jump to solution

I was getting intermittent connectivity with magic remote and Roku then determined I needed the Roku constantly on (not powered by tv) for everything to stay saved from the settings > external devices setup process, so far so good

0 Kudos
missjesska

Jump to solution

I just got the LG C2 OLED tv and was having trouble using the LG magic remote to control the Roku. I had the Roku mounted to the back of my tv and realized the magic remote wasn't working because there is no direct line of sight. I took my old "eye" that I used to use for my cable box when it was mounted behind my old tv and I powered it by plugging into the USB port on the tv (only to power it) and then stuck the eye on the bottom edge of my tv and now I can use the LG magic remote to control the Roku with no problems. Has anyone else tried it this way? What a pain!

Jesska
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So I’ve spent several hours on a brand new LG 86UQ8000AUB built 2/2023 and a Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ model 3810x released in from 2020.

The LG Magic remote controls the Roku perfectly for a a few days and then stops working.

It seems to be a power issue; if you disconnect the Roku and then plug it back in, it works just fine, the LG Magic Remote controls the Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ 2020 

If you’re having trouble controlling the stick, then disconnect your Roku stick and put it back in. It will work for a few days.

You may need to run universal control set up again. if you try to use the Roku remote with the stick it works but then the magic remote stops controlling the Roku again after a few days.

I wish the Roku sticks had an off button or at least the software off button that would truly power the device completely off.

I did call LG support and they were not helpful over an hour and this should’ve been the first troubleshooting step.

I told them the problem and it’s still not solved because it will again stop working eventually and my hunch is it’s tied to the Roku stick, not completely powering off when the LG tv turns off using the magic remote.

I may need to buy an external device like a power strip to fully power off the tv, and therefore the roku.

I did disable the quick start feature for the time being to test to see if that makes a difference.

I also noticed that the roku launches before the tv WebOS is fully operational when starting the tv.

Tags (1)