Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davenlr
Streaming Star

LG and CEC to control TV volume

Same thing here.  LG G3 wont control volume over CEC.   Cannot use IR since I have an LG, Vizio, and Sharp in the same room, and ALL OF THEM use the same IR codes.   It worked perfectly on a Hisense U8K, but I returned that,   Hopefully SOMEONE has figured out how to use CEC to control the volume on an LG.

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: LG and CEC to control TV volume

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Davenlr!

We appreciate you letting us know about your issues with being able to control your LG and CEC TV volume. We want to provide further information about this.

Please note that if you have connected a Roku device to your LG TV, it is recommended to use a Roku remote to control the TV's interface. This is because only a Roku remote is capable of controlling a Roku software operating system.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Davenlr
Streaming Star

That was not the issue.  I am using the Roku remote.  I was trying to use the Roku Remote/Roku CEC option to change the volume on the LG TV instead of IR, but was informed on AVSForum that LG TVs do not support CEC volume control, only passthrough of the CEC command for external sound devices.

So I am out of luck using CEC to change LG volume.

Just for clarity, the reason I need to use CEC is because I have three other TVs in the room and the LG IR volume up command is the same as the one of the other TVs home command, and the second other TVs power off command.   I ended up having to block the IR receivers on both the other TVs which do work with the Roku CEC volume commands, so I could use the LG's IR volume control.

Thanks for the help.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added information, @Davenlr.

We appreciate you for clarifying. 

In this case, have you tried setting it up for a CEC connection under Settings > Remotes & device > Remotes > Set up remote for TV control > CEC setup? If not, we highly recommend so. 

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Davenlr
Streaming Star

Yes. It tells me tv is incompatible, use IR.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for clarifying, @Davenlr.

Could you also confirm which specific Roku device you've plugged into your TV? Also, have you set up the CEC settings before?

Once we confirm which specific device this is, we will coordinate this with the team for further information and provide you with an accurate resolution.

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Davenlr-

Both my old Samsung and JVC sets fail the CEC test too.   They support Roku's "1-touch play" CEC feature to turn the TV on if necessary and switch to the HDMI input to which the Rokus are connected, but no other CEC options.  If volume/mute by CEC isn't built into the TV, there's no way I know of it add it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Davenlr
Streaming Star

Yes, that is exactly the issue.  My model LG does not allow volume control on the TV speakers via CEC.

I have a soundbar I am going to test out with it, to see if that solves the issue.

Thanks.

Davenlr
Streaming Star

Tried both Roku 4K streaming stick and Roku Ultra 4800.  TV is an LG G3 OLED 55"

Yes, I am well versed in CEC troubleshooting.

As I have found out from various sources, there is no way to control the volume on this TVs internal speakers via CEC, so it is a TV limitation, not a Roku issue.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.