Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKVH

LG TV - hit the ROKU remote (not LG TV remote) and now it talks ... like stating the volume number

I have read the same question posed.... I have the same issue.. I had hit * 4 times... multiple times over multiple days.... I have gone into settings.  I know it happened one day when I hit a few buttons on the Roku remote.... I want it to SHUT UP.   I saw where someone when to their Sony and found talk back... will there is not 'talk back' or anything similar on the LG settings.... and nothing on the Roku.... please can someone give me the way to fix this.   I don't want to know the volume number as it goes up and down... and that the TV is turning off - or on... or anything else it has decided to tell me.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG TV - hit the ROKU remote (not LG TV remote) and now it talks ... like stating the volume numb

@SKVH, the Roku device has no idea what volume number your TV is set to, so it's the TV announcing the volume.  Look in its accessibility settings.  Samsung and LG TVs are known to use a long press of the mute button to access accessibility settings, so if your Roku remote has volume controls, that may have been what happened.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: LG TV - hit the ROKU remote (not LG TV remote) and now it talks ... like stating the volume numb

@SKVH-

It COULD be this:

• VOICE ANNOUNCEMENT OF ROKU MENUS, BUTTON PRESSES, ETC.
    A feature called Screen Reader (formerly Audio Guide) announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. At some point you may have hit the * key on your Roku remote four times in a short period of time. This is a shortcut that toggles the Screen Reader / Audio Guide feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should toggle this feature back off.

To deactivate Screen Reader use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled

BUT -- I've never had a Roku connected to a non-Roku TV cause the TV volume setting to be announced audibly.  The visual display of volume setting and any audible announcement likely are coming from your TV, not your Roku.  You might want to check your LG TV settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

IR remotes are very simple devices and they try to keep everything separated by giving each brand sperate codes, but sometimes if there is some interference (light), or multiple buttons get pressed, or the remote is aimed so products barely see the signal, or someone moves, and then something gets confused and product B interprets a button press on product A’s remote as some completely different command on product B.

I experience it around once a year.  Then I grab product B’s remote and figure out how to undo whatever happened.  It happens to my parents too and it confuses them that this can happen with product B’s remote safely hidden away.  (Which I need to find to undo it.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.