Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanoduill
Reel Rookie

Re: If you could add ONE feature to your Roku remote, what would it be?

Thanks! I am behind the times. Great to see this.

0 Kudos
spellguy

I would add a new software option if possible to make a constantly on backlight, and thw option to dim it when its always on. It would also be preferable to have it dimmable anyway for when the backlight could be too bright at night. 

0 Kudos
GoHawks
Roku Guru

I would add a button that when and if pushed sent a minor electrical shock to their CEO and I.T team for putting ads on my home screen without my permission.

They don't seem to understand nor care that I don't want them and I don't go into their house and start putting unwanted stuff on their living room walls.

I PAID FOR IT ALREADY.IT IS MINE.

Every single time they keep putting ads or adding stupid stuff to my menu I'd shock them until they realized that they need to stop.

FJB2020
Streaming Star

Thankfully the mute button is available. 

0 Kudos
FJB2020
Streaming Star

0 Kudos
GoHawks
Roku Guru

and ? the mute button removes Kardashian ads from my home screen ?

adwissler
Streaming Star

On the Search option (or perhaps any other menu option other than Home), it would be great to be able to press the * (asterisk) button and get the same options that you would if you were on the Home menu.  This would make updating, removing, moving, or restarting apps easier, especially if you have a lot of channels.  Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
RFT135
Binge Watcher

Regarding your item #4, there is a universal remote manufacturer on which it is possible to have all remote codes enabled.

Universal Electronics, the manufactuer of One-For-All remotes and some OEM remotes have Roku button codes available that go well beyond what Roku remotes provide.  Personally, I use a 3rd party programming system that allows me to do custom programming of any button to access any of the Roku codes as well as create macros that do more complex programming.  I have URC3660 and URC3680 remotes that are nearly identical and it allows me to create programming such that all 7 of my remotes work exactly the same including control of external surround amplifiers on two of my systems.

http://hifi-remote.com will get you info about many of the UEI remotes but the JP1 link takes you to a DIY group that has discovered all the tricks that can be performed using a PC and a special cable to connect to a connector inside the battery cover.  The JP1 system is not for the faint-of-heart, but as a nearly 80-year-old, I'm still able to navigate its capabilities.

I should point out that these are IR only remotes and will not work with RF Stick players and will not provide headphone capability.  But they do have backlit and number buttons.

0 Kudos
PnoGuy88
Reel Rookie

Programmable Shortcut (Quick Launch) buttons. Even if they are labeled, a long press option or something. 

0 Kudos
DanUK
Streaming Star

With respect

The thread is called

Re: If you could add ONE feature to YOUR Roku remote, what would it be?

Not

So it refers to the one we already own not some new one you released that others have said has some massive privacy issues.

To be honest those buttons irritate the **bleep** out of me because they can exit you from an app, only YouTube seems to ask if you really want to leave.  It should ask that for all apps.

There is a hidden menu, how hard would it be to give option to map the buttons to the app in P1 to P9 on the home screen.

Only 1 byte per button required.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.