Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: If you could add ONE feature to your Roku remote, what would it be?

@DanUK wrote:

To be honest those buttons irritate the **bleep** out of me because they can exit you from an app, only YouTube seems to ask if you really want to leave.  It should ask that for all apps.

There is a hidden menu, how hard would it be to give option to map the buttons to the app in P1 to P9 on the home screen.

The preprogrammed buttons are paid for by the providers named on the button. Roku cannot give the user the ability to change the programming of the buttons. You have a valid point about each button should confirm the press was intentional. But I could also see someone complain that they don't want to have to press the button twice. Unfortunately you can't please everyone.

It is a fair point for Roku to point out a remote has a function that someone has requested in this thread. The fact that Roku has had programmable buttons on some remotes for a couple of years still isn't well known, so they are simply pointing out the feature already exists. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PJoeBat

Why not have the remote send two signals when you push the power button. The first signal is the signal sent when you push the home button, then the second would be the power off. You would still have the home button, but this would help for those who forget to push home before powering off.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@PJoeBat 

There is a setting called "Bandwidth Saver" under Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver that will cease streaming (thus saving internet bandwidth/data) after 4hrs. 

There is a an additional setting called "auto power savings" on the newer Roku devices under Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings that will power down device and network activity after 20 min of inactivity.

Between those two settings, should be able to help out the forgetful.

Once users learn how to use the Roku device, pressing these buttons become second nature and most learn/remember to press the Home button before the Power button to turn off their device's streaming.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
julian3
Reel Rookie

I'm incredibly frustrated with Roku remotes.  I bought a lot of them and they are so unreliable it's ridiculous.  I reported the issues and months later, I got a response with a basic trouble shooting link.  Product and service from Roku have been poor.

One feature to add to the remote?  Isn't it obvious?  Add a cable connector that allows a user to communicate via wire to the receiver, bypassing the buggy unreliable wireless interface.

We don't use it all the time, but if we're sitting down to watch something and the **bleep** remote hangs, we can plug a cable to get the TV to respond.  Or, we use it all the time and have a far more reliable and consistent experience.  I'd even consider a wired-only product to be superior.  It would certainly cost less.

I just can't understand why Roku would allow such a poor product to go to production, or to not fix it. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@julian3 wrote:

One feature to add to the remote?  Isn't it obvious?  Add a cable connector that allows a user to communicate via wire to the receiver, bypassing the buggy unreliable wireless interface.

You can't be serious. I'm not disputing you having issues with Roku remotes (even though I've never had a single problem after more than ten years and easily more than a dozen different Roku devices), but adding a cable to a remote is simply not practical for almost any user setup. Cables are tripping hazards unless they are neatly tucked away out of sight. And to do that in some rooms you're talking 15-20' or more to do so. And with a wire you have lost the ability to move around with the remote. 

The only remote I've ever had with a wire in probably 50 years or more has been to a) charge a remote and/or b) program a remote. I have never seen a remote that had a hard wire connection simply for communications. Wireless remote technology is more than 50 years old, and it's certainly not "buggy". There are numerous variations of remote technology, with infrared (IR) and Bluetooth being the two predominant in use today. Roku uses both IR and WiFi Direct (which is a branch of your  standard WiFi connection, so hardly new tech). The Roku Stick players are all WiFi Direct only, while every other device can use IR as well as WiFi Direct.

Dan

0 Kudos
DCwebman

Have the ability to rename the 4 quick buttons at the bottom of the remote. I previously bought a Stick 4K that had a Hulu button. I bought another one yesterday and Paramount+ replaced Hulu on the button. Same device. I guess they paid more advertising to put their button on instead. Now I have 2 buttons that I can’t use. 

0 Kudos
PnoGuy88
Channel Surfer

This is not useful - for Roku devices the remote does not control the TV. Volume and power yes, but not the tv. Thats what universal remote is for. 

for roku TVs the input selection is available in the first tiles of the Home Screen. Your request would be redundant. 

0 Kudos
PnoGuy88
Channel Surfer

All remotes happen to have varying shortcut buttons - not sure why. But I agree - a little inconvenient to some. 

0 Kudos
PnoGuy88
Channel Surfer

What possibly do you think happens when you power the device off? You think the movie still plays?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@DCwebman wrote:

Have the ability to rename the 4 quick buttons at the bottom of the remote.

It will never happen. Roku receives payment for those button placements, and their contract requires them to remain with that provider. They can't allow someone to change the programming without breaching their contract.

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.