Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drjlfra

How to sync Roku remote without pairing button

Jump to solution

I just purchased a replacement remote.  As I went to pair the new remote to my Roku device, I noticed that there is no pairing button.  It is the basic standard remote (nothing fancy). 

I researched how to pair the remote without the pairing button, and the only instruction that I found was to unplug the Roku stick, wait until the Roku screen appears on the tv, and then put new batteries into the remote and point at the Roku device. 

I have tried multiple times and have not had any success with this process.  The old remote works, but need to be replace due to the down button not working at times.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Pairing Button On New Remote

Jump to solution

You can't pair a remote without a pairing button, without one its just IR remote. If your roku is a stick, then its worthless, if its a console then should just work by IR with nothing to program.

Of course I have no idea what roku remote you bought? What model of roku you have? If this new roku remote has power key then its a Roku TV remote and uses a completely different IR code then Roku console streamers like express, premiere, or ultra. 

Additional resources from the Support site that you might find helpful:

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You can't pair a remote without a pairing button, without one its just IR remote. If your roku is a stick, then its worthless, if its a console then should just work by IR with nothing to program.

Of course I have no idea what roku remote you bought? What model of roku you have? If this new roku remote has power key then its a Roku TV remote and uses a completely different IR code then Roku console streamers like express, premiere, or ultra. 

Additional resources from the Support site that you might find helpful:

Edmund

Carladylan

Jump to solution

So it worthless? I just gotten a roku remote as well that didn't have the pairing button! I also have the roku stick..

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Sorry but yes its worthless, stick's need a wifi remote, won't work with IR roku remotes. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
dogatemyremote
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, but have a ONN Roku TV. My dog ate the remote. The new remote doesn't have a pairing button. I've unplugged the TV. Removed the remote batteries. Plugged the TV back in amd reinstalled the remote batteries. No success

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

This new remote says Onn Roku tv on it? Does it say Roku tv on the remote at all? A regular roku remote for non-tv rokus use a different code set then roku tv do. Describe it? A Onn roku tv will respond to remotes from TCL, Insignia, sanyo, magnavox, westinghouse, philips, and jvc roku tv's, but not hisense or sharp. If it doesn't have Roku tv written it then its not a roku tv remote and won't work for you. 

Edmund

dogatemyremote
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's the typical Roku remote with the volume and mute buttons on the right side. Purple arrows and ok buttons. Netflix, hulu, Roku channel, and VUDU buttons on the bottom.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

There's nothing written in white below the buttons? Its just empty? Like in this picture of remote on the left with tcl roku tv: P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

0 Kudos
dogatemyremote
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Correct. Nothing is written at the bottom like yours shows.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

One last thing, does it have microphone button like on in my picture, or a key with a crescent moon? Microphone means its a wifi remote and should have pairing button in the battery compartment, moon its a Roku tv IR remote and should just work unless its a hisense or sharp roku tv remote. 

Edmund

0 Kudos