Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LegareChase
Reel Rookie

Remote continuously down scrolling

Jump to solution

My remote is continuously down scrolling and I have changed the batteries, restarted the device, as well as looked to make sure the buttons on the remote aren’t stuck. Not sure what else to do…

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote continuously down scrolling

Jump to solution

Take the batteries out, then try aggressively working the remote buttons. Might be something sticking in there you can't see.

I'm assuming that when the batteries are removed, the Roku does not scroll. Have you tried using the Roku app on a phone or tablet? It might not be the best long term solution, but you could at least confirm it's the remote itself that has the problem.

You didn't state what model Roku you have, but it might be simpler to just replace the remote. For all Roku players other than the Streaming Stick models, you can get an inexpensive universal IR remote from many stores for under $10. Just make sure they list Roku players as supported devices. If it's a Roku Stick, then it depends on the model you have if a remote is even available. But the Stick players all use WiFi Direct remotes, and don't support IR at all. If your Roku Stick is model 3600 or newer, the $20 replacement remote will work fine. Again, those are available in most stores that sell Roku products, such as Best Buy. But make sure what model Roku you have before buying a replacement remote.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

When reporting problems it's always a good idea to report your Roku model and model number as shown via Settings > System > About. Often the answers you seek depend on your Roku model and if we have this information to start with, you can get targeted suggestions more quickly.  This can be especially important for remote issues, as different models take different types of remotes.

Does it continue to scroll when you take the batteries of out of the remote?  If it does, the problem lies elsewhere.  Perhaps another remote in the room, maybe stuck between cushions or under a book with the down arrow being pressed? 

The only time I've experienced this it was with a Roku TV and a restart of the Roku fixed it.  These things are just little special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes clearing things out by restarting them is all it needs.

Restart via Roku menu path Settings > System > System restart (Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart - just turning the tv off/on doesn't give a full restart)

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
LegareChase
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is an express 3900. And I have attempted, still scrolling. It also does not scroll if it is not facing the device or the front of the remote is blocked/covered. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks. That's an IR remote, so you can check it by looking at the front of the remote through a digital camera, such as a phone camera. If you see a constant flashing light, even when you're not pressing a button, then you've isolated the problem to the remote. Although it sounds like you really already have. 🙂

My suggestions above still apply, but now you know that an inexpensive universal IR remote will work with your player. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jakarr
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku menu keep scrolling

Jump to solution

RokuDanny-R  I am having the same issue and can't reboot because I can't make it stop on setting. And nowhere on my laptop are there instructions on how to reboot.

0 Kudos
bombab718
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi my remote causes my screen to continuously scroll and I'm not able to use the remote because it is stuck in an endless scrolling loop.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@jakarr, just unplug the power for a few seconds and plug it back in.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bombab718
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. I've unplugged the roku and removed the batteries but still have the scrolling issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@bombab718

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.