Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help- Neither Simple Remote Nor Roku Remote App Working to Control Roku Express

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Neither my Roku Simple Remote nor the Roku Remote on the Roku app are working. I unplugged my Roku Express for a minute, and after plugging it back in the app remote started working again but not the physical remote. And 30 minutes later neither are working again. The app simply says device is Not Found On Network. But the Roku is playing YouTube TV, so obviously it’s connected to a network. But I can’t get either remote to control it. I put new batteries in the remote, so I can’t understand why it’s not working, I just got it in December.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help- Neither Simple Remote Nor Roku Remote App Working to Control Roku Express

Jump to solution

@GreenDragon1937 wrote:

... I unplugged my Roku Express for a minute, and after plugging it back in the app remote started working again but not the physical remote. And 30 minutes later neither are working again. The app simply says device is Not Found On Network. But the Roku is playing YouTube TV, so obviously it’s connected to a network....

The possible remote issue was covered by @renojim already. But there is a reason you may not be able to control the Roku device with your app.

The Roku Express (model 3930) is 2.4 GHz band only. Depending on your network setup, your phone could connect to your network on the 5 GHz band, and the two might not see each other. Your phone can switch from one to the other, depending on signal strength and other factors on the network. This is nor normal, but it can happen on some networks.

While there is normally one thing that is the cause of issues, you may have two unrelated issues going on: remote and network.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim

Re: Help- Neither Simple Remote Nor Roku Remote App Working to Control Roku Express

Jump to solution

I can't explain the issue with the app remote and simple remotes are usually bulletproof.  You can check to see if the remote is transmitting by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone.  When you press a button on the remote you should see a flash on the camera screen.  If you do see a flash, try holding it very close to the front of the Roku while trying to shield it from any possible light interference like fluorescent lights, sunlight, or another remote in the room that may have a stuck button.  No flash would imply bad batteries or a dead remote.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@GreenDragon1937 wrote:

... I unplugged my Roku Express for a minute, and after plugging it back in the app remote started working again but not the physical remote. And 30 minutes later neither are working again. The app simply says device is Not Found On Network. But the Roku is playing YouTube TV, so obviously it’s connected to a network....

The possible remote issue was covered by @renojim already. But there is a reason you may not be able to control the Roku device with your app.

The Roku Express (model 3930) is 2.4 GHz band only. Depending on your network setup, your phone could connect to your network on the 5 GHz band, and the two might not see each other. Your phone can switch from one to the other, depending on signal strength and other factors on the network. This is nor normal, but it can happen on some networks.

While there is normally one thing that is the cause of issues, you may have two unrelated issues going on: remote and network.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.