Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Flashing red light on Roku Remote RCB1R.

I had bad experience with RC917 not holding a charge.
Well, The RCB1r holds its charge very well. 

However, I  am sorry to say problems have developed with my new RCB1r within a week.  

The red light is flashing on the remote, even when charged to 100 percent.   When it was charged at 97 percent, red light on remote also flashed.

I also get a message that I have to pair the remote multiple times a day. Multiple times a show. I took pictures of the screen with the error message, and included them with ticket 9676055. 
 I  have wiped the base unit while wiping the RCB1r, set it all back up and still have to pair the remote to the base unit repeatedly. With the base unit plugged in or unplugged from power, the remote still flashes.

A friend of mine told me he may buy me a new base unit and see if the problem persists. (Or I may toss the pile and start with another provider)

Meanwhile, can you do something to help?  I called tech support and the person I spoke to was not kind or nice or helpful.  And he hung up on me. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Flashing red light on Roku Remote RCB1R.

Thanks for keeping us posted, @FranklinJ!

We understand that you are experiencing an issue with your Roku remote RCB1R, and we are here to help you.

Before we proceed, may we ask if you have attempted to use an alternate charger cord or power source? Moreover, you can try resetting your Roku remote and pairing it again. To do this, restart your Roku remote by holding down the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds. After that, pair your remote again with your Roku device. Kindly inform us if this makes any difference.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Jharra,

I have to pair the remote first thing in the morning, and half a dozen time times during the day, because of messages that the audio is not working. I mailed photographs of the blinking light and the error messages to ROKU. I took my ultra LT ROKU, and “reset to factory” specs including the RCB1r.  Reset the box and everything “to out of the box” conditions. Performed a new setup, and still have the problem.  I charged the remote to 100% and still have a problem. 

A friend sent me a brand new factory sealed ROKU ULTRA which I registered and set up and I still have read light, and intermittent requests to pair. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @FranklinJ.

Please be aware that we have been coordinating this with the team. Kindly take a moment to check your inbox for the latest updates.

Your continuous patience and support are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

RokuCarly

No one at ROKU I call seems to know you. 

So, I sum up:
1). My friend sent me brand new in box sealed unopened ROKU ultra. 
Charged the remote. Had trouble with remote buttons.
SN: SODA22APMSGE
Device ID: X010009PM5GE
Still at software 12.5.5  build 4174–C2
I am sure that software will update soon
2) RCB1r still has intermittent red flashing light left of power button. Also, I keep getting messages to pair the remote at top or bottom of screen. 
3) I am surrounded by 3 ROKU units in my account. RCB1r flashes no matter which I attach it too. I have  factory wiped the LT with RCB1r, I’ve held down buttons for 40 seconds, I’ve restarted the ultras, I’ve wiped the brand new one. No changes. 

I think it would be fair to send me a replacement RCB1r for the one that flashes red, AND a replacement RCB1r for the ULTRA I just opened. 
SN: SODA22APMSGE
Device ID: X010009PM5GE

Once we have that sorted out and they work to specifications, I will look at an additional 32 inch TCL ROKU For another location. 
But first, let’s sort out the RCB1r. I still think that remote model is the best bet for solving my two problems.

I will continue to use the LT as a test bench unit I can wipe anytime as needed with remotes attached. 
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the added infromation, @FranklinJ.

Please be informed that we are currently coordinating this with our Support team for additional reinforcement. Kindly keep an eye on your inbox, as they will reach out to you via email to request the RCB1R remote for further investigation. 

No worries! A replacement has already been processed for you as well. 

In the meantime, your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Thank you Carly. The Tech Support staff do not seem to know who you are or that you exist.

To be clear, I have a “new in box” ROKU that is also having remote problems.  So that’s two ROKU units that I have wiped and reconfigured and two remotes I have wiped and reconfigured, getting the same results after the wiping and reconfiguring.  I am using my third ROKU (LT) as a test bench device too … wiping, pairing and configuring.  
I am sure now that I can get a job with tech support. My wife is happy with the TCL television in the kitchen and doesn’t want me to “experiment“ with it. She doesn’t want me repairing my bed remotes with her good TCL television.  The TCL is working fine with its remote.  So I’m not touching it!

4802X-ROKU ULTRA
Newest (opened May 15, 2024) 
SN: X010009PM5GE
device ID:  SODA22APMSGE
Currently at software 
12.5.5 build 4174 – C2
Franklin Sterns

two RCB1r replacement remotes should do it!
If there are no manufacturing or design errors in the replacement, RCB one are remotes and I will be a very happy television viewer. 
0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

9585844 ticket

1) I received an RCB1r. It holds its power very well. The buttons are functional. However, there is a problem. There is a red light that keeps flashing on the left side of the  Power button. And I am constantly getting messages to pair the remote again sometimes as many times as six pairing requests a show. Over the course of a long TV day that’s a lot of pairing requests.
2) A friend bought me a brand new Roku ultra. The remote that was in the box has problems so that’s two Rokuboxes and two problems with the remotes. I have an out of warranty Roku ultra LT and I wiped that with the remotes attached. I also wiped the remotes by holding the buttons down for 40 seconds. I reconfigure the LT which I call Test Bench, those named remotes are problematic no matter which Roku box they are associated with.  
And even when they are fully charged, they have problems. I have a fourth Roku device, a TCL television, which gives me no problems after having swapped out the remote with a replacement. 
 I believe your company shipped out a huge quantity of defective remotes. I will show you some pictures of the error messages that I photographed from the screen and the red blinking light if possible, I will include the serial numbers and model numbers of the latest two Roku ultras.  The most recent is a week old.

Let’s get me two replacement remotes and settle  both problems and I can go on with many hours of television watching in the multiple rooms in which I have available to me.

4802X-ROKU ULTRA
Newest: 
Currently at software 
12.5.5 build 4174 – C2
Franklin Sterns
Request:RCB1r

Older: 
4802X- ROKU ULTRA
SN: X01000M34RKY
Device ID: SODA23234RKY
Currently at software 
13.0.0 build 24056-C2
Franklin Sterns

These are the device for which I am most concerned. 
X010009PM5GE came out of the sealed box 7 days
1) I received an RCB1r. It holds its power very well. The buttons are functional. However, there is a problem. There is a red light that keeps flashing on the left side of the  Power button. And I am constantly getting messages to pair the remote again sometimes as many times as six pairing requests a show. Over the course of a long TV day that’s a lot of pairing requests.
2) A friend bought me a brand new Roku ultra. The remote that was in the box has problems so that’s two Rokuboxes and two problems with the remotes. I have an out of warranty Roku ultra LT and I wiped that with the remotes attached. I also wiped the remotes by holding the buttons down for 40 seconds. I reconfigure the LT which I call Test Bench, those named remotes are problematic no matter which Roku box they are associated with.  
And even when they are fully charged, they have problems. I have a fourth Roku device, a TCL television, which gives me no problems after having swapped out the remote with a replacement. 
 I believe your company shipped out a huge quantity of defective remotes. I will show you some pictures of the error messages that I photographed from the screen and the red blinking light if possible, I will include the serial numbers and model numbers of the latest two Roku ultras.  The most recent is a week old.

Let’s get me two replacement remotes and settle  both problems and I can go on with many hours of television watching in the multiple rooms in which I have available to me.

4802X-ROKU ULTRA
Newest: 
Currently at software 
12.5.5 build 4174 – C2
Older: 
4802X- ROKU ULTRA
SN: X01000M34RKY
Device ID: SODA23234RKY
Currently at software 
13.0.0 build 24056-C2

Franklin Sterns

These are the device for which I am most concerned. 
X010009PM5GE came out of the sealed box 7 days ago. 

Barring any other design or manufacturing flaw, these replacement remote units should solve my viewing problem.  
 my viewing problem.  
0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

How many shortcuts can you program on the Quick Launch button on the Roku Voice Remote Pro RCB1r

How many shortcuts can you program on the Quick Launch button on the Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition) RCB1r. How many channels/apps?

So far, I count one channel of your choice, the Roku channel, live TV guide, closed captions and voice command. Can I substitute some of the other quick launch choices for channel/application shortcuts?

0 Kudos