Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nishhk2

Cannot pair Simple Remote to Roku box

Jump to solution

Got a used TV with a Roku box attached to it, but we can't get the remote to do anything. Batteries are new and in correctly, infrared light is strong and visible through my phone camera, we have tried every combination of plugging/unplugging and removing/replacing batteries that we can think of or have seen online. I know the remote is working because I can use it on the RokuTV in the other room just fine. The Roku itself seems to be working. I am not really sure which one it is, but it's a flat rectangular shape that is attached to the base of the TV and has a clear plastic front with a little white light. The little light is on, and the language select screen is up, we just can't make it do anything. What is wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot pair Simple Remote to Roku box

Jump to solution

An IR remote that works on a Roku TV won't work on a Roku player and vice versa.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Jump to solution

An IR remote that works on a Roku TV won't work on a Roku player and vice versa.

0 Kudos
Av71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

so what remote do I need to buy to work on a roku express device?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The OP wrote it was attached to the tv, not that there was a HDMI cable between them, so op's Roku is a Roku stick, and can't use ANY IR remote it has to be wifi voice remote. The express can be controlled by a simple IR Roku remote, but not an IR Roku tv remote. They use different IR commands Roku tv's and Roku boxes like the express. Unless your Roku express is 3700 or 3710 model, you could also use Roku voice wifi remote on all other express models. The 3700 express & 3710 express+ only respond to IR Roku remotes. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

It would help if the OP clarified exactly what device this is.  I've never heard anyone call a stick a "box".  And a "clear plastic front"?  On a stick?  It does sound like it's attached directly to the TV without an HDMI cable.  Either way, a Roku TV remote is never going to work.  For all we know it's an MHL stick.

@nishhk2, is there a model number written on it anywhere?

0 Kudos