Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raygaston
Reel Rookie

Cable remote cannot turn off tv or change volume after roku update to 12.5.0

After updating the Roku operating system to 12.5.0, my cox cable remote will not turn off my tv or change the volume on my 55" TCL Roku TV. Every other button on the Cox remote seems to work fine and the Roku remote is operating correctly. I have unplugged and restarted the TV and checked for new updates, but the problem persists. Not life changing, but irritating.

20 REPLIES 20
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cable remote cannot turn off tv or change volume after roku update to 12.5.0

Can you try setting up the Cox remote again to control the TV?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TerminalFrost
Reel Rookie

Re: Cable remote cannot turn off tv or change volume after roku update to 12.5.0

9-28-23

Same thing happened to my Xfinity XR2 remote. I reset the remote and re-input the codes. I dont have volume or power button working on the remote. I also unplugged the TV and nothing changed. I Have a TCL Roku, the TV remote works fine but the xfinity remote is not working with volume or power.

I reset the xfinity remote and tried 11756 in setup with no change. I did setup 991 with ch up till the tv goes off then I press the power on the xfinity remote and the tv turns on but then the buttons dont work any further. Also when it does come back on from the xfinitiy remote after the setup pairing, the tv boot sequence is really long compared to the power off and back on with the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Try codes 12049 and 14398 in xfinity remote. 

Edmund

TerminalFrost
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the codes, they didn't work for me though. maybe they'll work for a different remote. My remote says XR2. Strange problem, I never had an issue with the TV and remote working  before Sep 28th so it must be an issue with the update mentioned by OP.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

If you have remote code list for xfinity  remote, try codes under Admiral, Dynex, and Sansui. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
TerminalFrost
Reel Rookie

try codes under Admiral, Dynex, and Sansui.

I dont know what that is,

I did everything including resetting the TV and the xfinity remote just wont work anymore. It worked the day before the update so I would say the update is bugged, or unknowingly disabled older remotes working on the device. Maybe its a TCL issue and not a roku, should I go there and ask?

0 Kudos
raygaston
Reel Rookie

Repaired coz remore to the cox box and everything works fine. Thanks

0 Kudos

Been trying to fix this all morning. Looking up solutions on the internet and nothing was working. Code 12049 worked for me. Made this account to say THANK YOU Tivoburkee

Sandidq
Reel Rookie

I have Cox.  Called TCL yesterday to complain.  Since it is happening over more than one cable system, it must be the update.  Call TCL customer service and let them know.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.