Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Audio out/ Optical. Remote not working with receiver

Jump to solution

I have the roku ultra 4K hdr and I have another smaller roku like a usb stick with basically the same remote as the ultra. I have the original one for the ultra paired and everything works just fine. I took the second remote and paired it with the ultra and that too is working just fine. The only thing is the volume will NOT work with my Onkyo receiver. When I use the volume control on the second remote it shows a message about audio out/optical. Any suggestions how I can get this to work.

The ultra has the optical cord leading out and connected to the onkyo receiver.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio out/ Optical. Remote not working with receiver

Jump to solution

It depends on the model Roku remotes you have. Since your Ultra has an optical out, it's not the newest model (4800), as they've dropped the optical out. The remotes may look alike, but the Stick remote is not the same as the one for your Ultra. Yes, it will pair, but doesn't have the same functionality. So first, what model Ultra and Stick do you have?

Only the newer remotes are capable of using IR to control a TV set's volume. None are capable of controlling an AVR. However, if you have an HDMI connection between the AVR and the TV, then HDMI CEC could control the AVR volume. If you're using optical, then I'm assuming you don't have HDMI between the AVR and the TV.

Are you saying the Ultra remote controls the Onkyo volume, but the Stick remote does not? Or does neither remote control the AVR volume? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
atc98092

Jump to solution

It depends on the model Roku remotes you have. Since your Ultra has an optical out, it's not the newest model (4800), as they've dropped the optical out. The remotes may look alike, but the Stick remote is not the same as the one for your Ultra. Yes, it will pair, but doesn't have the same functionality. So first, what model Ultra and Stick do you have?

Only the newer remotes are capable of using IR to control a TV set's volume. None are capable of controlling an AVR. However, if you have an HDMI connection between the AVR and the TV, then HDMI CEC could control the AVR volume. If you're using optical, then I'm assuming you don't have HDMI between the AVR and the TV.

Are you saying the Ultra remote controls the Onkyo volume, but the Stick remote does not? Or does neither remote control the AVR volume? 

Dan

0 Kudos
Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the 4640x Roku Ultra.  I do have the HDMI between the Roku and the Onkyo AV system.  I also have the optical plugged into the Roku.  I suppose that should be unplugged.  The second remote that I’m trying to get to work the volume is the 3810x “stick”

Hope this helps.

Rich 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If your Roku is HDMI connected to your AVR, then yes there's no need for the optical connection as well. If the Ultra remote controls the AVR volume (as mine does)  then it's doing so through HDMI CEC, or what Roku labels as One-Touch Play. It shouldn't matter which remote you use, as it's the 4640 that is sending the volume control to the AVR. Again, assuming both remotes are paired to the same Roku. You might try it again after you've removed the optical connection.

I have to ask why you've paired the Stick remote to the Ultra. If you still want to control the Stick, you're going to have interference with the Ultra, unless they are beyond WiFi range of each other. Unless your home is quite large, you're unlikely to get enough separation between the two. If you really need more than one remote for the Ultra, you could always use the Roku app on a phone or tablet, or get an inexpensive universal IR remote that supports Roku players. Then you could leave the Stick remote paired only to the Stick.

Dan

Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had an old stick roku that I really don’t use all that much so I decide that if I have two remotes one for me and one for my wife that would be great.

I purchased a SofaBaton and it works ok, but not as fast as the original roku remotes.

Now I will try to pair the stick roku remote after unplugging the optical cable.  I’ll see if I can get it to work

Thanks to all of you I really appreciate the help

Rich

0 Kudos
Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well I just went thru every setting on the Roku plus I disconnected the optical from the Roku.  The remote that came with the Ultra 4640R works just fine.  When I try to pair the remote 3810x everything works except the volume which is running thru my Onkyo receiver.  I looked at Roku’s website they have a remote for $29.95 that says it will work for most of the Roku devices.  If I order that and then pair it to the 4640R do you think that I’ll be able to run both remotes and the sound?

I put a Roku app on my IPhone 12 works fine, but it won’t run the volume.  I hit the + and - key on the right hand side and then there’s a 100 that shows up before the volume on the app.  Every once in awhile I might be able to move the volume 1 or 2 settings higher, but that’s not every time.

Thanks again.

Rich 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I didn't realize the app didn't have volume control. I just fired it up on my 4800 and confirmed there's no volume available. The phone volume buttons only control the phone volume, not sending anything through the app. 

Yes, any of the Roku remotes on their page should control your Ultra. There must be a difference between the Voice Remote and the Enhanced Voice Remote, as the Enhanced model doesn't list the Stick as a supported player. I have no idea if that difference is why your 3810 remote isn't controlling the AVR audio. But either the Enhanced or the new Pro remote should do it all. I see the Pro is listed as on backorder, so doesn't look like you can get one of those easily. Looks like they're sold out at Best Buy as well. 

Dan

Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks act 98092

0 Kudos
Sidecar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here’s an update.  I ordered and received in on day from Amazon their new remote for many of their Roku devices the reason I  ordered from Amazon instead of Roku was Roku was out of the remotes until October. 

Anyway problem solved it works great, it controls the volume which I run thru my AV receiver.

Thanks for the help.

Rich aka Sidecar

0 Kudos
winrose46
Reel Rookie

Re: Audio out/ Optical. Remote volume control not working with receiver

Jump to solution

I just purchase the ultra and I have an Onkyo audio receiver with all my inputs using the HDMI ports on the Onkyo and I am not using the ARC port on the television (Sony Master OLED) but the digital optical port. During setup, the Ultra did not permit the Roku remote to control sound volume.  Sound comes out of my Onkyo AV and Onkyo  7.1 sound system speakers; however, I can only control sound with my Amazon remote.  I am testing out the Roku because the Amazon Cube 2.0 does not retain the 4K display settings and I was hoping to see that I could use the Roku Ultra for 4K shows.

0 Kudos