Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartyC4
Reel Rookie

2 Rokus remotes in house conflict

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku ultras in the house.  Two different rooms with door between them.  I have had them both for a few months with no issues.  One is 3 years old and the second one is about 4 months old. This week the Roku on the main tv is not responding to the remote after it starts up.  It does start and then does not respond.  Apparently the Roku in the other room starts up also and works fine.  Why won't the one that is not responding work after startup?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: 2 Rokus in house conflict

Jump to solution

Have you checked the remote batteries? The remotes are RF-based and tied to the device. If the RF pairing is lost, it may control via IR, which requires proper aiming at the Roku. After changing the batteries, it should basically control it with IR if the RF pairing is lost. You can then re-pair it if needed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Have you checked the remote batteries? The remotes are RF-based and tied to the device. If the RF pairing is lost, it may control via IR, which requires proper aiming at the Roku. After changing the batteries, it should basically control it with IR if the RF pairing is lost. You can then re-pair it if needed.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

1) Make sure the batteries are fresh/havent been drained (this happens with Roku remotes)

2) Try powering down the working Ultra and removing the batteries from its remote.

3) Remove the batteries from the non-working Ultras remote, and pull the power from the Ultra for a minute or three, then re-power the Ultra, and as its booting up, put the batteries back in its remote.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2 Rokus remotes in house conflict

Jump to solution

I may be wrong, but I think all Ultras came with point-anywhere remotes that must be paired to the Roku in order to work.  Perhaps yours has become unpaired and needs to be re-paired.

Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

As there is a second Ultra in the mix, I'd power down (unplug) the working Roku while trying to re-pair the other one to be sure you pair to the correct Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MartyC4
Reel Rookie

Re: 2 Rokus remotes in house conflict

Jump to solution

Yep, it was the remote batteries.  

0 Kudos