Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VTRenegade
Streaming Star

Re: Roku 4630X Hulu Exits After Viewing Show

Jump to solution

@BackButtonFun wrote:

My problem was with the same type of remote as yours. I brought the remote to my other Roku which didn't have any issues with its infrared remote and the problem followed it there as well.  Then a week later the remote started losing synchronization repeatedly so it's a bad remote. I'm hoping a new remote won't have the back button problem. 

I would love to hear if switching back resolves the issue for you…  I had the other style and never had this problem before but when I replaced the old one because it quit working.  I went this route because it’s rechargeable as well. If that’s the solution to the problem then Roku needs to remove this remote from the market.  Please send follow up details when you get the other style and test it out.  I’m super curious to know if other people are dealing with the same remote as well. 

krispyonion
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Well, for what it's worth, I've had the issue with a voice remote that came with the Roku, a brand-new IR remote, and with the virtual remote built into the Roku phone app, the last of which I tried specifically to see if it might be a physical issue, like that corner button tending to stick, or a habit of pressing a little heavier on that corner. Even set it on a flat surface, used a stylus, and took special effort to keep it quick and light.

For me, it can't be the remote.

HokaHey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My remote is just the standard one that comes with the express version of Roku. I replaced the batteries, checked to see if the button was sticking, cleaned the remote even though it was clean, tried different ways of pressing the button. I still end up with the same issue.

NYJack
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
My problem is not remote specific as it happens with both an infra-red remote and with an internet, voice control remote. The back button thing possibly sticking sounds interesting, though. Is it possible that how a button performs is not coded in the Roku software but in each individual app (or is in the Roku software but can be overridden by app-specific software? 

Here is why I think there is a glitch in how a given app reacts to a command or button, such as how you turn CLOSED CAPTIONING on or off (this is a bit long but please read the whole thing): I'm thinking this because I've seen where the ability to turn on CLOSED CAPTIONING is often controlled by pressing the * button and then scrolling to the CLOSED CAPTIONING selection. However, I have seen where the Sound Settings needs to be selected before being able to find the Closed Caption selection. And, in some cases the CLOSED CAPTIONING is controlled differently by different apps. For example, with Netflix you have to arrow down while the show is playing and then select "English [Original] with Subtitles". Amazon's Prime Video has a rather complex method: you have to ARROW UP, then ARROW RIGHT, then press OK, then press Subtitles and then press the OK button to select either ON or OFF or only during an INSTANT REPLAY). 

So, maybe how a particular command/remote button is handled seems to be controlled by the app and maybe the Hulu app has some odd condition where sometimes pressing the back button works as if the Roku HOME button has been pressed.
VTRenegade
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@NYJack wrote:
My problem is not remote specific as it happens with both an infra-red remote and with an internet, voice control remote. The back button thing possibly sticking sounds interesting, though. Is it possible that how a button performs is not coded in the Roku software but in each individual app (or is in the Roku software but can be overridden by app-specific software? 

Here is why I think there is a glitch in how a given app reacts to a command or button, such as how you turn CLOSED CAPTIONING on or off (this is a bit long but please read the whole thing): I'm thinking this because I've seen where the ability to turn on CLOSED CAPTIONING is often controlled by pressing the * button and then scrolling to the CLOSED CAPTIONING selection. However, I have seen where the Sound Settings needs to be selected before being able to find the Closed Caption selection. And, in some cases the CLOSED CAPTIONING is controlled differently by different apps. For example, with Netflix you have to arrow down while the show is playing and then select "English [Original] with Subtitles". Amazon's Prime Video has a rather complex method: you have to ARROW UP, then ARROW RIGHT, then press OK, then press Subtitles and then press the OK button to select either ON or OFF or only during an INSTANT REPLAY). 

So, maybe how a particular command/remote button is handled seems to be controlled by the app and maybe the Hulu app has some odd condition where sometimes pressing the back button works as if the Roku HOME button has been pressed.

That would make sense except it happens with all apps on my Roku Ultra device and on our Roku TV as well.  After 15 minutes of play in any app the back button returns us to the roku Home Screen.  Clearly this has to do with Roku directly and not the apps and by the looks not the remote either.  

Since some people have experienced this since last May and it only started on mine about a month ago and I have since replaced my Roku with an Apple TV as I couldn’t deal with the annoyance any longer.  My issue is now resolved by replacing Roku altogether but I keep following this forum just waiting for Roku to come up with a solution to the problem and to see how long it takes since it’s now ongoing since last May for some people.  

NYJack
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Understood. However I do not want to replace my Roku(s) or add a new device as I have Rokus on all my TVs and using just one style remote is easier for me and my wife. Also, I don't want to essentially dispose of all the equipment I currently own rather than have it work correctly. I can live with the problem, for now. But thank you for your input.

Uncommonmartian
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@VTRenegade wrote:

@NYJack wrote:

That would make sense except it happens with all apps on my Roku Ultra device and on our Roku TV as well.  After 15 minutes of play in any app the back button returns us to the roku Home Screen.  Clearly this has to do with Roku directly and not the apps and by the looks not the remote either.  

Since some people have experienced this since last May and it only started on mine about a month ago and I have since replaced my Roku with an Apple TV as I couldn’t deal with the annoyance any longer.  My issue is now resolved by replacing Roku altogether but I keep following this forum just waiting for Roku to come up with a solution to the problem and to see how long it takes since it’s now ongoing since last May for some people.  

I've seen other people say too that they had to be in an app longer than 2 minutes (yours atleast 15) for this back button problem of ours to occur, but I just noticed on mine ( onn. roku soundbar) that it will sometimes do it even after about 30 seconds or less of being in the app. You also said yours just started doing this about a month ago while mine started maybe 3 months ago or so. Just thought I'd point out those differences with mine.
0 Kudos
Scooby0344
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express back button randomly returns to home screen when pushed

Jump to solution

This issue happens to me on both of my Roku TVs.

0 Kudos
NYJack
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Have you tried with both an IR remote and a voice controlled WiFi remote? I find that it makes no difference, this happens regardless of which remote I use. Also, I find this only happens with Hulu. Do you have this problem on other channels?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@NYJack

Thanks for the post.

If you have not already, please provide us the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings System About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos