Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Morcael
Reel Rookie

Roku Express back button randomly returns to home screen when pushed

Jump to solution

I recently upgraded to the newest Roku Express and it started randomly returning me to the home screen when I use the back button in several, if not all, of the apps I use regularly and most often in the Hulu app. This occurred before and after the latest update though not when I first got it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express back button randomly returns to home screen when pushed

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We believe this issue has been resolved with the latest OS 10.5 update.

Please be aware that Roku OS 10.5 has begun rolling out to select Roku players and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming devices, including the all-new Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, and all Roku TV models in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

166 REPLIES 166
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The back button is supposed to return you to the Home Screen if you're at the top level of whatever channel/app you're using, otherwise it should back you out one level within the channel/app.  At what point does it return you to the Home Screen - while actively streaming a video?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SGL59
Reel Rookie

Roku 4630X Hulu Exits After Viewing Show

Jump to solution

Roku device model = 4630X-Roku Premiere
Serial number = YR00H8686993
Device ID = 7KA6AH686993
Software OS/version = 10.0.0 build 4195-29

TV = Sony Bravia KDL-46HX729
JBL Soundbar
Ethernet (gig) connection to Roku

Issue ID = 93-192-409

Does this issue occur on a specific channel? Yes, only on HULU Version 6.41 Build 1

Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing:

For a few weeks now, 90% of the time when I watch a show on Hulu then use the BACK button on the Roku remote to get back to my list of shows, I'm taken to the main Roku screen.

Also, when I begin another show, there is no sound after the new show begins (sound works during the network ad - like the NBC chimes). The sound bar is not manually muted. I have to restart the show to regain sound.

I have logged out of Hulu and removed/added Hulu to the Roku home page without any change.

I've restarted (power off/on) the Roku and nothing changes.

I've replaced the HDMI cable and nothing changes.

I've changed to a different HDMI port on the TV and nothing changes.

I use Netflix and other streaming apps via the Roku and all work properly.

Lumonia
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have spent about an hour searching to see if anyone else is having the issue that I am.  OP seems to be.  

The issue just started where the back button does not take you to the previous screen.  It will if you haven't been in an app long but after a minute or two the back button will start taking you to the home screen.  

For example, in Hulu searching for a show this morning, every time I would click into a show to read the description and press the back button it acted as if I pressed home.  Now that I'm watching a show in Hulu, I can't press back to get back to the episode list instead it takes me home.  

This is the most annoying thing I've come across recently.

Lumonia
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku 4630X Hulu Exits After Viewing Show

Jump to solution

Clicking the back button and being redirected home instead of the previous screen just started happening while using Hulu.  I have the Roku stick from years ago, I have no idea which one tho.  

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Does it only happen with Hulu?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Morcael
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I watch Hulu a lot so it happens more often with that app but it has happened on Paramount+ and Netflix as well if memory serves.

Lumonia
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

Does it only happen with Hulu?

Since posting Saturday I have only used Hulu and the Spectrum TV app.  It has only happened with Hulu and it is still happening.  

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Morcael @Lumonia

Thanks for the posts.

We would be happy to look further into the issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lumonia
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Roku device model: 3800RW - Roku Streaming Stick

-serial number: YF00DE426835

-device ID: CU37CD426835

-software OS/version: 10.0.0 build 4195-55

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? Hulu version 6.41 build 1

-tracker ID was done just now with timestamp 2021-05-23T14:48:21Z with tracker ID: 35-205-368

-to repeat the issue: access Hulu, use the app for 2+ minutes (search for shows, stream, sit idle), press the back button to navigate to the previous screen but instead I am directed to the home screen of Roku.