Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Galeck
Reel Rookie

Smart Plug SE, connecting does not work

Jump to solution

Bought Roku Indoor Smart Plug SE

followed all the instructions, Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, download SmartHome,   and "connection failed"

device is in Pairing Mode, flashing blue fast, but app does not connect

restarted, redownloaded everything, same problem

sent Log to Roku, no response

appears that device is just a failure, dead on arrival

What to do? I don't want to return, I want the fre**king thing to work

Is Roku such a screwed-up company that they sell a small plug for few dollars that basically does not work to begin with?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Smart Plug SE, connecting does not work

Jump to solution

A warm welcome to the Roku community, @Mark_Galeck!

We understand you are experiencing difficulty connecting your Roku Smart Plug SE to your Roku mobile app. We are here to assist you!

Before we proceed, could you let us know if you are receiving any error messages during the connection process?

Please note that our Roku Smart Plug SE only works with a 2.4GHz wireless network connection that uses WPA/WPA2 security standards. If you are not certain about your connection speed, we highly recommend that you contact your internet service provider. Additionally, please ensure that you have checked the network Ghz. It should be 2.4GHz, and please try using different smartphones to see if that makes a difference.

For more information on how to resolve this issue, please visit our support page at How to Set Up Your Roku Indoor Smart Plug SE.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you still have any questions, and we're always here to help!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Mark_Galeck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

it paired today

don't know why, everything I did the same as before, WiFi password, and pairing, and it paired today

As a feedback to you, if you care, your error messages s*ck!  There is basically one error message, "failed" and nothing else

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome to the Roku community, @Mark_Galeck!

We understand you are experiencing difficulty connecting your Roku Smart Plug SE to your Roku mobile app. We are here to assist you!

Before we proceed, could you let us know if you are receiving any error messages during the connection process?

Please note that our Roku Smart Plug SE only works with a 2.4GHz wireless network connection that uses WPA/WPA2 security standards. If you are not certain about your connection speed, we highly recommend that you contact your internet service provider. Additionally, please ensure that you have checked the network Ghz. It should be 2.4GHz, and please try using different smartphones to see if that makes a difference.

For more information on how to resolve this issue, please visit our support page at How to Set Up Your Roku Indoor Smart Plug SE.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you still have any questions, and we're always here to help!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mark_Galeck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, it is 2.4GHz. As for WPA thing, why is there no mention of that on the product description, why is there no mention of that in the messages I see during the process?   Says "Note: Only 2.4 GHz networks are supported".   How do I check whether my network is WPA, whatever that is?

Error message is "Connection failed"

also says "make sure you're connecting to a 2.4 GHz network" again no mention of any WPA

-------
I tried again today, and today the error message is different "Move closer to your plug".  I can't move any closer, I am holding the ipad literally next to the plug.  Of course Bluetooth is on, everything is on and working.  Except your plug and your software. 

0 Kudos
Mark_Galeck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

it paired today

don't know why, everything I did the same as before, WiFi password, and pairing, and it paired today

As a feedback to you, if you care, your error messages s*ck!  There is basically one error message, "failed" and nothing else

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.