Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Truexjr19
Reel Rookie

Smart Bulbs will not go into pairing mode after upgrading Wi-Fi

we’ve had our bulbs for about a week. We had to update the firmware on our Wi-Fi and now the bulbs will not go into pairing mode for us to connect them to the new Wi-Fi name and password

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Smart Bulbs will not go into pairing mode after upgrading Wi-Fi

Hi @Truexjr19,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing with your Roku Smart bulb.

For upgrading any network equipment or changing the network name and/or password, you'll likely need to look at our Support articles.

Visit: Update the Wi-Fi settings for your smart home device.

Please let us know if there are any other concerns or questions.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Truexjr19
Reel Rookie

The issue is that they won’t go into pairing mode for us to connect them to the new Wi-Fi. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Truexjr19,

Thank you for the update! 

Have you attempted to reset the bulbs to see if it resolves the issue? Additionally, please ensure that your new Wi-Fi network is compatible with 2.5Ghz devices.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Truexjr19
Reel Rookie

They won’t reset. We’ve turned the switch on and off like you’re supposed to. We’ve tried different sockets and places in the house and they will not reset. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Truexjr19,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns and details to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

If you have another issue in the future, please don't hesitate to post in the Roku Community again.

Regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jencinias
Reel Rookie

Hi John, I am having the same issue with my smart bulbs after changing my Wifi. Can you assist?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jencinias,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thank you for updating us!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku smart home bulb since it will not go into pairing mode. We're happy to help you. Please try these troubleshooting steps below:

1. Please ensure that the bulb is fully seated into the fixture/lamp and it is turned on and has power.
  2. Please try to power-cycle the bulb by turning off the switch that controls the bulb for 5 seconds, then turning it back on.
  3. Factory reset the device by turning it off/on 3 times and setting it up like new.
  4. If this is a persistent issue, ensure that the wireless network name is the correct one on the mobile device and that the WiFi is able to accept 2.4 Ghz devices.

If the issue still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
okefenokee

this is ridiculous. Obviously, it's a little more of an issue than just turning the bulb off for 5 seconds and then resetting it by turning the bulb on and off 3 times to get the bulb to pulsate and return it to factory settings and pairing mode. This doesn't look good for Roku.

Why is it that all these complaints of not being able to get it back into pairing mode happening around the same time. If the smart devices are stored in Roku's cloud, and if there are this many complaints of the same issue, then don't you think there is some sort of bug related to your cloud that caused all these identical issues. 

Saying the same solution over and over again obviously isn't going to make this better. I'm losing confidence in Roku's smart devices. Unless there is a new solution besides turning the bulb on and off 3 times, then it looks like I will have to find a new replacement. I knew I should have gone with the smart switch instead of the smart bulb. 

jencinias
Reel Rookie

Hi John, I've tried this multiple times over several weeks and the smart bulbs have never factory reset. Can Roku provide me with new bulbs as these appear to be defective?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.