Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjp29

Re: YouTube TV freezes when fast-forwarding

Jump to solution

I have 3 ultra boxes they all freeze when fast-forwading. I have tryed all the fixes non worked. on thing seems to help- before fast-forwarding stop the video by hitting the OK botton then fast-forward, works 4 out of 5 times.   please fix this problem!

0 Kudos
aschuss1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've been switched over to my Chromecast HD(which I bought only so I could cast my Quest 3 Asgard's Wrath 2 gameplay) and have no problems for 2 days and 6-8 DVR'd shows/games, just a little slower loading and input response. Maybe will get a Firestick just to compare. 

0 Kudos
fatty44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

UPDATE on Investigation??

0 Kudos
DonLuis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We haven't heard a word from ROKU!  I've seen some improvement, but I finally got it to fail.  I just received my Firesticks yesterday and was hoping to send them back.  I guess not.  😞

0 Kudos
fatty44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update PLEASE!

0 Kudos
AJ_42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There is NOTHING wrong with your Roku!  The reason there are no updates to this thread is because the Roku hardware you own is operating normally and there is nothing that Roku can do to fix this problem.

The problems with YouTubeTV are because Google (who own and built the YouTubeTV app) have made changes to their app that causes failure on Roku devices.  Google wants you to switch to another platform and has specifically made changes to their YoutubeTV app that causes problems with Roku devices.

Your Roku hardware worked fine before these changes.  There are no problems with other channels or apps, just the ones owned by Google.

This thread originally started because Google engineers pushed the Roku Ultra app onto the Roku Streambar by mistake.  Roku engineers were able to help identify this, but even there, this happened because of a Google mistake.   Now that Google has learned about this bad user experience it has updated its YouTubeTV app across the entire Roku line of products so that this problem is no longer unique to the Roku Streambar platform.

When people claim Google is a monopoly and has industry power, this YouTubeTV problem on Roku is a very specific example.   Google could easily fix this problem but have decided not to.  They want you to go to another platform.   Once Roku is dead, Google will move on and problems will start happening on Firesticks.  Right now Roku is "too powerful" in the eyes of Google.

Roku needs to get on the defensive (establish certification processes including test suites which must be passed) or offensive (litigate, bring voice to press/social media, do a deal with Hulu-live).   Something to bring Google to the table.   This won't be solved by complaining here that my Roku doesn't work with YouTubeTV.

If you want to complain to Google, try reddit.com/r/youtubetv

gjcnjc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We appreciate there is an investigation regarding youtube tv freezing when fast forwarding.  But what is the status of finding and fixing the issue?  Seems we deserve an update after waiting many months.  Even if you you can't find the solution just tell us something.  Thank YOU

0 Kudos
fatty44
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There IS something wrong with my ROKU.  

I get all the information you provided and I'm sure it's probably all pretty much true.  

But Roku sold me a product, of which includes the apps on their platform. They are responsible for fixing what ever issues come about, even if they need to work with YouTube TV to fix their app.  Roku and YouTube TV do have a contract together to provide the app and other google apps on the Roku platform.  This goes back a few year when almost all the google products were removed from the Roku app store but at the last minute they both knew they need each other so a deal was finalized.

Roku has a responsibility to work with and provide or require any app to work properly for their customers. 

0 Kudos
AJ_42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There is nothing wrong with your Roku.  Roku sold you a platform where OTHERS provide the apps.  You have a broken app that is maintained by Google.   You need to complain to Google, not Roku that their app is broken.

Complain here: https://reddit.com/r/youtubetv

You are complaining to the wrong company. If you owned an HP computer and your version of Microsoft Word isn't working, who would you complain to with the expectation of getting something fixed?  Focus your complaint to the company that can fix the problem.  

0 Kudos
jgraver
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I did not see anything current on Reddit.  But I have reported this to Youtube.TV feedback.  Recommend everyone reports this in that manner.  Probably is a YouTube problem more than Roku. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.