Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveis2
Channel Surfer

voice recognition on a 2015 roku streaming stick via the phone app???

Hi,

How does roku voice recognition work? I have a roku streaming stick I bought in 2015 which still works very well. However it has no voice control facility. On the other hand I have the roku app on my phone. Could I use voice control via my phone app, or do I need to update my roku for voice control?

Steve

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: voice recognition on a 2015 roku streaming stick via the phone app???

No you cannot. Also a Roku device from 2015 is outdated. You can buy a Roku Stick with a voice remote for $40. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: voice recognition on a 2015 roku streaming stick via the phone app???

@steveis2 

The Stick that was sold in 2015 is actually 2014's Roku HDMI Streaming Stick model 3500. In fact, what I'm about to say would apply to 2016's model 3600 Streaming Stick.

Voice commands were far future when that device was built. I'm not saying it wasn't on the drawing board. I'm saying they didn't include the components to allow it to work with 2022's Voice Remotes.

As for the phone app, I think it simply does the same as the Voice Remote in that it doesn't duplicate the stuff the Stick does. If the Stick won't work with the Voice Remote, the app won't make a difference. However, @Tivoburkee and some others could confirm this, but I really think you won't be able to use voice commands with that device.

Of course, you could just download the app and try it, since it's free. But if doesn't work, don't be shocked.

And, as @TrooperDada326 indicated, one of the current Sticks will run circles around the model 3500 Stick. So, if you do upgrade, you'll be pleased with the results, apart from the voice functionality.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.