Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinC420

What is correct sd card for roku ultra and why the F don't they have a shred of advice

Jump to solution

The fact that the Roku Ultra can use an sd card, but the company has zero information as to the exact gb and class and storage capacity totally underwhelms me,it is the only....ONLY info I am looking for,and the info is non existant. Someone in a position of responsibility that has half a brain shold make sure that info is readily available, and a link to where you can purchase the **bleep** thing! C'mon Roku get with it!!!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: What is correct sd card for roku ultra and why the F don't they have a shred of advice

Jump to solution

Roku says:  “For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage”.  That's from:

https://support.roku.com/article/208756158

Roku’s last device with an SD card slot came out in 2019, so there probably won’t be any updates to that, but here’s a thread with some newer posts.

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: What is correct sd card for roku ultra and why the F don't they have a shred of advice

Jump to solution

Roku says:  “For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage”.  That's from:

https://support.roku.com/article/208756158

Roku’s last device with an SD card slot came out in 2019, so there probably won’t be any updates to that, but here’s a thread with some newer posts.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@kevinC420-

Unless I've missed a recent change, the only use Rokus have ever had for SD cards is storage of installed channel apps to minimize the need to shuffle less used channels off to make room for newer downloads.  This has been limited to 2 GB, with any capacity on the card beyond this going to waste.

Over the years, Roku has significantly increased their internal channel storage and SD card support has been removed from later models.   Per this Wikipedia chart, the last Roku with an SD slot was the Ultra 4660 released in 2017.

Anecdotally, years ago I had a Roku 2 XS with an SD slot.  On repeated occasions the card got corrupted and it prevented the Roku from moving beyond the "Bouncing letters" startup screen.  A reformat on the computer and re-insertion of the card would fix it, but after several episodes, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and just left it out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.