Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloudz539

This USB device requires more power" message when no USB plugged in

Jump to solution

Minusing the exact same thing but when I click close it only will appears 9 seconds later

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: "This USB device requires more power" message when no USB plugged in

Jump to solution

Hi, @cloudz539!

Welcome, and thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community!

We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Could you confirm if you've encountered this error message for the first time, or if it appeared after activating the device recently?

If your Roku device is getting an error message of "This USB device requires more power. Use a power adapter if available", it might be due to insufficient power supply. This occurs when the USB drive requires more power than the Roku device can provide. Here's what you can do to address this:

1. Check for External Power Adapter: If your USB drive comes with an external power adapter, connect it to a power outlet. This should provide the necessary power for proper detection.

2. Use a Powered USB Hub: If your USB drive doesn't have an external power adapter, you'll need to utilize a powered USB hub. This device will supply additional power to ensure proper functioning.

For detailed instructions and further assistance, please refer to our support page: Why does my Roku streaming device not recognize my external USB drive?

We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work towards a resolution. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out. Your satisfaction is our priority.

Best regards,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @cloudz539!

Welcome, and thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community!

We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Could you confirm if you've encountered this error message for the first time, or if it appeared after activating the device recently?

If your Roku device is getting an error message of "This USB device requires more power. Use a power adapter if available", it might be due to insufficient power supply. This occurs when the USB drive requires more power than the Roku device can provide. Here's what you can do to address this:

1. Check for External Power Adapter: If your USB drive comes with an external power adapter, connect it to a power outlet. This should provide the necessary power for proper detection.

2. Use a Powered USB Hub: If your USB drive doesn't have an external power adapter, you'll need to utilize a powered USB hub. This device will supply additional power to ensure proper functioning.

For detailed instructions and further assistance, please refer to our support page: Why does my Roku streaming device not recognize my external USB drive?

We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work towards a resolution. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out. Your satisfaction is our priority.

Best regards,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
TreDay
Reel Rookie

Re: This USB device requires more power" message when no USB plugged in

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem as of today and have tried everything. Different outlets. Factory reset. Nothing fixed it. I don’t have anything plugged in to the USB. So frustrating. I can’t watch Tv. It comes back immediately when I hit the close button. 

“This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available"

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am currently having the same issue 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sure! Here's a concise version: ``` Implement a feature where the "close" button appears 9 seconds after performing a subtraction operation. ```

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello Community users,

Thanks for taking the time to post to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Regarding the issue you've been experiencing with the error message "This USB device requires more power. Use a power adapter if available."

Did you try the troubleshooting steps provided above by @RokuElmer-H?

If the problem persists, keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TreDay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only thing that worked was something I found on Reddit. I took the back of the TV off. Removed the USB slot as I don’t need it and the message is finally gone. The USB was slightly bent so there was an issue. When you take the USB away there is nothing to trigger that awful message that won’t quit. My TV has been fine ever since. I almost was going to buy a new TV but luckily did not give up. 

Jump to solution

Are you even reading the complaints?

almost everyone is in the same boat there is no USB connected! but we still get the message over and over again

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.