Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ford306
Channel Surfer

Roku express crashes after connecting to wifi

my Roku has been working fine, but now, it won’t boot up. I get the bouncing Roku logo then a blank screen. If I hold reset for 30 seconds it will boot, I can select my language and connect to WiFi, as soon as it says checking for updates it crashes to a black screen and the only way to recover is to reset again, tried various power supplies etc but no change 

Labels (1)
20 REPLIES 20
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express crashes after connecting to wifi

It sounds like the only thing left to try is a different USB cable.  How old is the Express?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ford306
Channel Surfer

Hi,

it’s about 3 months old, I would take it back for exchange, but, unfortunately Argos seems to be out of stock everywhere for it, so hoping it may be an easy fix

0 Kudos
Brentpeterson84
Channel Surfer

Mine did the same thing, although the reset funtion did nothing. Mine is 10 months old. It appears to be a device issue, not sure if a software update was recently done or what.  Went to use it yesterday to watch some college football and simply did not work. Of course Roku cutomer service is non existent and the website does not function to process a replacement.  About the worst customer service experience of all time and literally impossible to contact Roku.  What has happended to customer service anymore - don't suggest you have customer support when you don't and it's impossible to contact Roku.  Rediculous...

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ford306 @Brentpeterson84,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!
We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Express. We're happy to assist you further, but we will need to gather more details. How far is your Roku device from your router? Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider? How are you trying to connect to your network? Is it via wired or wireless connection? Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brentpeterson84
Channel Surfer

No changes to provider or router equipment.  Also other Roku stick withing 10 feet of that device works absolutely fine. 

0 Kudos
Brentpeterson84
Channel Surfer

Wireless streaming connection which is pretty normal these days.

0 Kudos
Brentpeterson84
Channel Surfer

Checked cable and wifi signal on my phone right next to device - super strong signal.  Anything else...

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Brentpeterson84,

Thanks for the update and for sharing more information about this.

Could you also share with us the serial number of this device (this can be found by navigating to Settings>>System>>About).

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brentpeterson84
Channel Surfer

Thanks - You need to fix your webiste so customers can process warranty replacements.  It does not work correctly and just goes into never never land and asks to connect with a chat prompt but no reaction when clicked on.  Sounds like you are going to have a slew of return requests for defective products coming.

0 Kudos