Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Menu Missing during start up on The Roku Channel

Jump to solution

Why? Why? Why? Did Roku take away the menu option that used to be on the left side of the screen?

Woke up this morning and it was there. A few hours of work, turn the tv back on and it’s GONE. Nowhere to be found.

I’m running update 12.5.5-build 4174 and the menu list is smooth gone. Instead, I am now being asked to scroll through endless categories until I find the “live tv”, it’s at the very bottom of all the categories.  
Listen Roku - I’m older than 50 and I’m sure that other older-than-50 folk like to turn on the tv and have a REAL tv menu presented to them. Is it not enough that we have several other streaming apps to scroll through and then have to scroll through your application without benefit of having a menu that makes sense?

It reminds me of that OTHER update you guys did not too long ago when all the channel numbers were missing *and* you still have not fixed the faux pas of showing us commercials about a channel but give no indication of a channel number. Now you expect us to take a wild guess at what the numbers are without benefit of having an actual menu to access? Oh… and the little option button on the top right of the screen…what TH am I supposed to do with that? It doesn’t do anything.

I contacted chat - they sent me to a useless link where you explained all your fancy updates/upgrades but not what happened to a simple menu option.

You ask too much, Roku and you’re doing it an UNREASONABLE manner. Look Roku, you’re not the only free streaming service in town and if you keep it up. - WE. WILL. BREAK. WITH. YOU. Serious business.

My second bone is - you are making it EXTREMELY difficult to get on the discussion boards due to Cloudflare. Granted, it’s good security along with the recaptcha… but do you honestly think folks are gonna go to SETTINGS>ABOUT and find the last 6 of their device ID each time we have something to say here on the boards? Again, you’re being mighty unreasonable, Roku. 
Why can’t you just send a text verification so that it can be plugged-in… I mean our email and phone numbers are associated with our accounts, right? So here’s a tip from an old person: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Now I fully expect to see the menu back where it was in a few days as well as you fixing the issue with login to discussion boards soon after.

New does not necessarily equate to BETTER.

Those are the bones. Picked.

Sincerely 

TaraB

IMG_0984.jpeg

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Channels/Menu Missing. Oh Roku. I have a bone…

Jump to solution

Hi @TheHLT,

Thanks for getting back here and for sharing the details requested.

We'll forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. I've also dropped you a PM regarding this.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Spoonham

Re: Channels/Menu Missing during start up on The Roku Channel

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue as well. We have 4 active Roku boxes and they all have this issue. Hopefully  it's a bug they're aware of and working on? If you go in and out of the Roku app repeatedly every once in awhile the side menu will reappear and work just fine. But the next next time you open the Roku app it's gone again. Not all of our Roku boxes are the same and yet they all have this issue. I started noticing it a week ago. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Spoonham @TheHLT,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for flagging us about this behavior you're seeing when accessing The Roku Channel. 

This is likely not intended and we'd like to take a closer look into this. If you're seeing the issue again, please report back here and provide with us a Tracker ID of this issue.

Here's how to get it.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi Rey.

YES! I still have the issue. And what is happening is that there is still NO menu displayed. I am required to scroll through the “Categories” and locate “Live TV” - and it is approximately 15-19 categories before I can locate it. *THEN* once Live TV is located, I’m required to press the OK button which makes the menu appear. This is COUNTERINTUITIVE to the way people watch television. It is made even worse because Roku shows the consumer various commercials and do not give channel numbers but names for the commercials, so now we are being required to guess at the channel name/number without an obvious menu to select/find said channels?

Make it make sense! 

l feel Roku is trying to imitate the visual style of Hulu…and I tell you what - I unsubscribed to Hulu for reason (and that they want exorbitant prices for their service).

I am attaching a screenshot with the information requested but I also have a video to share about this issue, if interested. Let me know if you received the screenshot because after attaching twice, I do not see it here.

Sincerely.

TaraB

0 Kudos
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Rey.

screenshots are not attaching:

Issue report tracker:

MN: 8112X

SN: YK00H6155671 (J9D92H155671)

Software v. 12.5.5 Build 4174-48

GC v. 11.4.29

Timestamp: 2024-05-14T16.09:11Z

tracker ID: 71-193-929

You guys should also address screenshots not attaching!

0 Kudos
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Re: Menu choices have disappeared from the side of the screen

Jump to solution

Hi @billbergerx 

Yes, you are correct about The menu option. I have found that what you have to do is locate the live TV category then press on the live TV category and the menu will appear.

But making a complaint about this because it is counterintuitive to the way people watch TV. Hopefully they will fix it really soon but that’s a shortcut if you just want to watch TV right now, but I really think Roku made a big mistake and doing that.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TheHLT,

Thanks for getting back here and for sharing the details requested.

We'll forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. I've also dropped you a PM regarding this.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuERey - the email address you sent me rejected MY email with vids & pics showing the problem.

What up with that?!

0 Kudos
TheHLT
Streaming Star

Re: UPDATED - Solved -Channels/Menu Missing.

Jump to solution

@RokuERey 

Update: The Coders were successful!!!

The menu is back *AND* someone fixed the login for Roku Community as well. It now prompts for a 6 digit code instead of asking for last 6 of device ID.

Thanks for your assistance. Next time can you guys send out an email telling us about any updates instead of just springing them on the public unbeknownst?

Tell the Guys behind the Scene -they done good and thank them for me.

0 Kudos
smithdoor
Binge Watcher

Re: UPDATED - Solved -Channels/Menu Missing.

Jump to solution

I hope to see the numbers soon.

Dave 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.