Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrashTV
Binge Watcher

Anyone that didn't agree to the forced arbitration of the updated POS

Don't throw away your TV just yet if you did not hit agree to the illegal forced arbitration then you could go to your Roku account and turn yourself on to guest mode you will just have to set the date in which you want to get rid of that and it will not ask you to agree to their illegal arbitration update. I hope Roku goes out of business and his bankrupted with class action lawsuits, after all why would they need to force arbitration if they aren't planning to do illegal activities against the people buying their substandard products.

Tags (1)
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

Roku data breach 28 Dec 2023 - 21 Feb 2024 (Discovered 4 Jan 2024 - 21 Feb 2024)

This deserves its own post, but in what is unlikely to surprise anyone here:

From Over 15,000 hacked Roku accounts sold for 50¢ each to buy hardware - 11 Mar 2024,

Update 3/11/24: After the publication of our article, Roku disputed what we we were told, stating that the new Dispute Resolution Terms are not related to the hacked accounts and fraudulent acitivities.

Roku hackers breach 15,000 accounts and are selling them online 12 Mar 2024

From Office of the Maine @torney General Data Breach Notifications:

Date(s) Breach Occured: 12/28/2023 - 2/21/2024
Date Breach Discovered: 1/4/2024 - 2/21/2024

Thousands of Roku accounts hacked including credit cards — what you need to know 12 Mar 2024

Over 15,000 Roku Accounts Hacked & Sold Online to Use Peoples Saved Credit Cards 11 Mar 2024

and similar reporting in many other outlets.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku data breach 28 Dec 2023 - 21 Feb 2024 (Discovered 4 Jan 2024 - 21 Feb 2024)

Good thing I removed my CC from my Roku account years ago. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Lifeoflink
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I can't find the new terms on my Roku Ultra. Did they stop rolling it out in the US?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Lifeoflink wrote:

I can't find the new terms on my Roku Ultra. Did they stop rolling it out in the US?

I think they might have. The complaints seems to have tapered off. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Bsbs
Binge Watcher

However, if Roku new in advance of this act and then chose to NOT notify their customers timely but rather block Roku users from their devices with no explanation as to why (Roku trying to sidestep any accountability and INSTEAD throw their CUSTOMERS UNDER THE BUS BY FORCING ROKU CUSTOMERS TO AGREE TO SOMETHING LIMITING THEIR ACTIONS) one might wonder if Roku was acting in collusion with the hackers. Certainly advising Roku customers immediately when they became aware of the issue, then Roku customers could have acted to reduce the threat to their personal information and the unknown hacker entities (?) would have gained less from their illegal activities. 

In addition to Roku blocking access to news, emergency weather information, Amber and Silver Alerts, I have to say Roku demonstrated they don’t care about their customers or society at all.  

How wonderful it must be for the upper management, board members, and shareholders to live in white towers. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Bsbs wrote:

In addition to Roku blocking access to news, emergency weather information, Amber and Silver Alerts, I have to say Roku demonstrated they don’t care about their customers or society at all.  

I wouldn't necessarily blame them as uncaring. It's entirely possible it was done by pure stupidity. Someone really didn't think the process through, and being in the "white tower" as you mention could certainly be part of the issue. 

Dan

fladude
Streaming Star

Governing law if a breach and someone were to sue would be the TOS and pertinent LAW in effect when the harm occurs.

Roku can only change TOS for something from that point forward but not retroactive apply new TOS back to things that occurred under past TOS.

When I sued a Drug firm over antibiotic damage only the LAWS etc in place at time of damage occurring and only the company's warnings etc at that time mattered.. by time of court date  the company had amended its warnings about interactions but their updated warnings which were not in the past labeling were not allowed retroactive.

So If there's been some serious breach, roku knows of then  their altering TOS cannot necessary be retroactive applied to take away rights one has under old TOS and pertinent State/Federal Laws.

And lastly if Rokus new TOS violates any Laws their VOID.

Lifeoflink
Reel Rookie

@atc98092 Makes sense. Neither my wife and I have seen it pop up on our Ultra, or at least as far as we can remember. Opening up the TOS on the unit shows something that's dated back to October 2020.

0 Kudos
Bsbs
Binge Watcher

Perhaps Roku was not indiscriminate in who they sent the notice to which prevented customer access? Maybe they know the individuals whose information was breached?

0 Kudos