Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Folks the ROKU TOS agreement is pretty much standard. for example here's netflix's TOS:

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

HULU's

https://www.hulu.com/subscriber_agreement

All pretty much the same. Just about any service you use these days will have very similar TOS. I'm not saying this is right. It's just the way it is.

0 Kudos
joebios01
Streaming Star

Roku is expecting ALL its existing customers to surrender their rights to class action and court trials.

Why would anyone agree to this for the cost of a letter telling Roku Nooooooo?

mop_891
Roku Guru

Also, class action? I've been a member of 2 class actions. One I got $40 after waiting about 10 years. the other $50 after 5 years. Only ones who really benefit from class action is lawyers.

Court? Usually takes years and you either give a the lawyers 1/3 of what you might get or pay a bundle.

Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

On February 24th, Roku introduced new dispute resolution terms, allowing consumers a 30-day opt-out period. Despite my attempt to opt-out by contacting their general counsel, Roku continues to block my usage until I select “AGREE.” I firmly assert that my refusal to agree to these terms should not lead to the deprivation of basic functionalities on a device I've owned for years

Per Roku’s Terms and Conditions, they reserve the right to amend terms with notification. However, the inability to access TV settings to remove my Roku account forces consumers into a corner, compelling them to select “AGREE” to proceed. This limits consumer choice and undermines fair dispute resolution.

As a consumer advocate, I advocate for transparent and equitable dispute resolution processes that prioritize consumer rights. The current terms lack adequate safeguards for consumers, demonstrating a bias towards the company's interests. It's crucial to address this issue promptly to restore consumer trust and uphold accountability.

Otherwise, a refund should be issued immediately for the 4 Roku TVs I own that I cannot use.

joebios01
Streaming Star

Admittedly off topic, but I got a few $'s from those Sonic Pest Repeller guys (mom bought a ton of those), the GotMilk guys (I think it was price fixing), the Plaid jokers (didnt take bank privacy seriously), GooglePlus (for some reason). Still waiting on the Broiler Chicken guys (price fixing) and the Blue Cross guys (monopoly business practices). Anyway these suits do some public good outside of the pittance paid out to class members. Why miss out on all the fun?

o2night
Streaming Star

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

NOT SURE IF IT WAS MY TELEVISION UPDATING, OR GOOGLE OR ROKU, BUT YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC!!!  I JUST DID THAT BECAUSE THE POPUP DID NOT GIVE ME AN OPT OUT CHOICE!  IF WE ALL DO IT, THEY WILL BE FORCED TO REMOVE IT OR REFUND OUR MONEY.  IF THEY DO NOT, THE SECOND STEP WOULD BE A VERY LARGE CLASS ACTION SUIT!  AFTER THAT, THERE IS THE BUD LIGHT TREATMENT!  😉 

NO COMPANY HAS THE RIGHT TO DESTROY THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE PRODUCT YOU BOUGHT! NOR SHOULD YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH TOUs TO BE ABLE TO USE THE PRODUCT!  YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE ABLE TO OPT OUT!  

UPDATE:  I do not know what kind of television everyone else has or what you might have been watching when this happened, however, the following is how I finally removed it.  Maybe it will work for you also.
I just happened to be watching a GOOGLE YouTube video when it happened to me.

After searching for solutions, I tried to reset the television and even factory reset it by the button in the back.  However it did not remove the popup.  Finally, I started pushing buttons on the remote (don't push the star...unless you just like long draw out TOUs, lol)
FINALLY, when I pushed the back ARROW BUTTON a couple times, it went back to the programming.

Worth a try.

Notv1
Reel Rookie

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

I too can’t get my TV to move from this screen. I do not want to chose “Agree” but have to way not to. This is very disappointing as I can’t watch any programming. Roku please let my TV go! 

bentley27

just wondering whether or not you agreed to the updated terms and conditions ? otherwise your Roku product is inoperable, if i'm not mistaken.

jaikal9

I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

This morning I turned on my TCL Roku TV and was presented with a message saying that I need to agree to the updated "dispute resolution terms". Until I press "Agree" my tv is essentially being held hostage and rendered useless. I can't even change the HDMI input. So Roku, what do you recommend? Under no circumstance will I select Agree.

Naumbia

Re: I don't agree to Dispute Resolution Terms update. TV now unusable. Now what, Roku?

I too turned on my TV this morning And saw a message stating we’ve made an important update! And they had only one option, and that is to agree. I disagree with this I am not handing over my rights to Roku!! So my only other option is to give Amazon my money and sign up with them thank you Ruku! For making the decision for me!!!!!