Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pf3
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra Stuck on Recovery mode

Hello @RokuRiamie-D I don't see the private message you sent. Could you please re-send, or send to my email on file? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Ultra (4640X) Stuck on Recovery mode

@RokuRiamie-D 
This has also happened to my 4640X.  It is stuck in an endless boot loop.  After about 5 reboots it falls into RecoveryMode.  I have tried a 'Factory Reset' and an 'Update Now' with no resolution to the endless boot loop.

Please Help!
Version -- 29F.04E12221A
Serial # -- YP008710....
Device ID -- 7LC68810....
Model -- 4640X

AuserApple

Joeybananas
Reel Rookie

J

please check PMs

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we address this matter. Your cooperation means a lot to us.

Please check your direct messages. We have sent you a detailed private message concerning the issue you are experiencing with your Roku Ultra 4640x, which is stuck on the recovery mode screen.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wipeoutfan

I am having the same issue with my Roku Ultra 4640x, and have done all the steps outlined here without success.

RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @wipeoutfan,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We noticed in your post that you are also having an issue with your Roku Ultra model (4640X) being stuck in Guest mode.

Please check your direct messages (DM) for more details and assistance regarding this issue.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@JCameronHollis wrote:

I even inserted a blank microSD trying to confuse the system into opening a different screen.

Just to save everyone time from trying something like this, the SD card is used for only a single purpose: as additional storage space for channel/app installation. It has zero usage for the operating system, playing media stored on the card, or using an alternate operating system. Since the latest players have greatly expanded storage space for channel installation, the SD card option is no longer included in any Roku device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

An additional data point. The 4640 was released in Oct 2016, so now an eight year old device. While it's certainly not expected to wear out at that age, it is a possibility. My 4640 is now used by my granddaughter, and as far as I know it's still working OK. But sometimes older devices simply no longer work right, and it might be time for a replacement. I do know the latest models are much better than my 4640, as my 4800, Express 4K+ (3941) and Streaming Stick 4K+ (3821) all performed better than the 4640. And the latest Ultra (4850) is one more step up the performance ladder, although I haven't tried that one yet.

I still have a very old Roku 2 XS, which is now a 13 year old player. Does it work? Last time I tried it, yes. But it's useless to actually use because no modern app/channel will work on it anymore. The first app to become unusable was YouTube (it always seems to be the first one) and that happened when it was only about 3 years old. No fault of the Roku device, the developers continue to write their apps for the latest players and aren't concerned with the performance of older devices. That's what made it unusable. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Reel Rookie

ATC, 

The point of inserting the SD card, as stated, was simply to illicit any response. I thought to try this after success with a frozen tablet. Users who've read my initial post already know inserting the SD card is moot. 

While the 4640X dates to 2016, the fact so many are stuck in recovery mode after the update means there is an issue with the update Roku sent out; not our "old"  units.

Additionally a new user just posted their unit, a 3960RW, has also been affected. I'm certain many users simply purchased the new Ultra. My mother and a sister did just that.W

We are receiving assistance directly from Roku on this matter. Thank you for your story. Some may have enjoyed it.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.