Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express with old firmware unable to update the software

I have a Roku Express 3900x I’ve not used for some years.

I have attempted to set it up. I connected it to the TV via the provided HDMI cable. The electrical supply is connected directly to the wall. I powered it up, located my network, and entered my network password. I then received  “Checking for new software” and then immediately "Software update failed (error code 003).

I did a factory reset of the Roku and tried installation once again. I got the same results, stuck at "Software update failed." 

I unplugged my router, did a factory reset of the Roku, and powered my router on after 10 minutes. The situation is still the same - it connects to the Wifi and then hangs on Software update - "Software update failed."

I did a factory reset of the Roku and tried connecting it to the network using my cell phone hotspot. It connected to the Wifi and then hangs onSoftware update - "Software update failed."

I cannot get into the Roku to discover what is the previous firmware. 

The serial number on the unit is C337CC581607. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.