Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Ongoing 3900x Software Update Problems

Hi @MercatorRete,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern about your Roku device that is unable to update software and we sincerely apologized for the inconvenience this has caused.

In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MercatorRete
Channel Surfer

Thanks for you reply.

Here is all the information I can provide regarding this unit:

Model: 3900x
Version: 519.20E04806A
Build date: 20191203 02:53
S/N: YGG002M497527
Device ID: C33832497527

Tracking Info:   ID27-484-047

Once again I have tried all the suggestions offered (on your support pages regarding this problem) to resolve this issue. I have tried two other networks all with th e same failure.

Did factory reset, reset wireless modem attempted to update numerous times. Always the same results.

I'm not able to get past the "software update" in order to provide you with some if the information you requestedin your reply.

I have another 3900x on the same network and that one works OK. I have even disconnected that working unit and put this failed unit in it place and tried to update.

The failed unit was in my office and was working perfectly. I closed my office and ended that network account. When I brought this second 3900x home to use I had to reconnect to my current ISP/ Doing that initiated the need to create a WiFi connection and have to unit look for the latest software update.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MercatorRete,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue. We understand that you are having difficulties with your Roku device that is stuck in the error message "software update".

We'll go ahead and send this over to the team for investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
lewisbarnes
Channel Surfer

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly. I have recently experienced the same fault with my Roku Express 3900x.

I tried a manual software update when the device was working, it would spin for hours without getting anywhere. On the advice of these forums I did a factory reset and the device is now essentially bricked as on launch it asks for a WiFi connection buy then endlessly spins on trying to update.

I have tried connecting to different networks, including using my phone data, restarting my home router, and have tried the hard reset button on the device too.

My device info is:

FCC ID: TC2-R1019

IC: 5959A-R1019

Serial Number: E63957919570

I have another 3900x in another room, that is working fine and has recently successfully updated. The now faulty unit was not used for quite a while so was trying to update from a much older version (9 I think).

I would appreciate someone from your technical support team getting in touch with me, and as per some of the other forum threads would ideally like for them to arrange for a replacement to be issued. I can, of course, return my faulty unit.

Cheers, Lewis 

20230407_120345.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @lewisbarnes,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having difficulties updating your Roku device and we appreciate you for providing essential information about the issue you are experiencing.

In addition to the information you just provided,  Can you please provide us with the following information:

1. Is there a light showing on your device?
  2. How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables?
  3. have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

We also suggest checking our Roku Support for additional help in solving an issue with your Roku device that is unable to proceed to software update: What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
lewisbarnes
Channel Surfer

Hi,

In answer to your questions:

1 - there's a solid white light on the front of the device when it's switched on

2 - I've tried powering the device using both a TV USB port the wall plug adapter provided. Same results with both

3 - I have also tried a different hdmi cable as I plugged the faulty device into the TV with the working device. Same result here too.

I've looked at the other forum posts and faq and certain I'm experiencing the same fault as the other members on the forum.

Can you put the support team in contact with me please so we can arrange for a replacement device to be sent out and my (now) faulty one returned.

Cheers, Lewis 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @lewisbarnes,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We appreciate you for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience about the issue with your Roku device not updating to the software.

Can we request the required information below:

• Roku device software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to work with the channel partner to investigate further. We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
lewisbarnes
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately I can't give you either of those things. Following the factory reset the device isn't able to complete the startup process successfully - as it gets stuck on checking for update after connecting to the WiFi network - and therefore the System page isn't accessible to give you the OS version number. Additionally, the device never throws an error, and following your instructions when the device is checking for the update does nothing. The people before me who had the same issue reported this same behaviour when they were asked to follow those instructions too.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
MercatorRete
Channel Surfer

I recently posted on this thread that I (like numerous other users) have experienced a chronic problem while attempting to upgrade to the latest software.

After waiting a week for a resolution to this issue I am  now wondering....

What is the current status of resolving this problem with these 3900x Roku devices? 

It is clearly evident from the numerous complaints lodged by your customers that there is definitely a problem with the devices ability to upgrade to the most current version of the software

This is most likely due to programming errors of a previous software upgrade or to the current software upgrade. This rendering these 3900x streaming devices completely  unusable.

As a show of good faith to your loyal customers who have brought this situation to light, I would like to think that for continual customer loyalty and satisfaction Roku would do all that you can to correct this problem. As soon as possible.

Perhaps as a solution to this problem Roku would  either replace the defective devices or in some way issuing a corrected upgrade to the software that can now be accepted by these  failed and otherwise useless devices.

I have noted that at least one user ( h5r9 on 03-09-2023) stated that Roku support had offered him a replacement.    Is this an option for me to take advantage of?
0 Kudos
Linseylougoo
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express with old firmware unable to update the software

Mine is doing the same thing, I think it is useless now.  It worked (on a few channels) before I did a factory reset and now it’s just stuck checking for new software.  I hope someone can help.  

0 Kudos