Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kds2

Roku 3 playback issues after 13.0 update

After 13.0 update all channels on Roku pause and stutter during playback.

It plays fine for a few minutes and then it starts freezing and jumping forward and garbling both the video and audio. Similar to when you have issues with buffering

I've tried everything that was suggested. I restarted multiple times, push the reset button, removed and added back my channels. I also restarted my router and confirmed that Roku says my Wi-Fi connection is extremely good very fast.

Basically can't watch anything which is very frustrating.

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3 playback issues after 13.0 update

Hello! @Kds2,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Roku 3 having an issue after the 13.0 update, and we appreciate your effort in trying to fix the problem. We're happy to help you.

We would be happy to look into this more, but we need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.
We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrdoc
Reel Rookie

My two Roku 3s have choppy video since 5/7/24 software update

Choppiness and long pauses start after a few minutes and becomes unwatchable.  Occurs with multiple titles under multiple channels (notably Prime and Netflix).  Pausing does not help.  Speed check confirms my ISP speed at 240MB/sec.  Rebooting Rokus and Modem and Router did not help.  BTW, my Roku Ultra was not affected.

Does anyone have info whether there a defective software update?

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My two Roku 3s have choppy video since 5/7/24 software update

Hi @rrdoc,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly with us!

We understand you are having a problem with the Roku 3, since when you play a show or movie, the video is choppy. We're happy to investigate even more. May we know how far your Roku device is from your network router? Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider? Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrdoc
Reel Rookie

UPDATE:   I thought it was solved but it started again after about 15 minutes of playback.  Roku support had me go thru these steps.  We did not test until the end and it worked for more than 5 minutes, but then failed at 15 minutes.

Home -> Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Network Connection Reset.

Home >> settings >> network >> set up connection >> wireless >> network name >> password

Home -> Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check Now.  (Done.  Version is  13.0.0 build 24048)

Home -> Settings -> System -> Power -> System Restart.

Unplug and re plug the device after 1 minute and check it.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted, @rrdoc!

We'd love to assist you further with this issue that you had with the Roku 3. Please try to use a mobile hotspot in order to connect through your Roku device, and see if that will fix the problem.

Let us know how it works, and we'll continue to assist you.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@rrdoc-

We're starting to see other similar complaints with Roku 3s after receiving the update to Roku 13.0.

I suspect the Roku operating system may finally have gotten too large for the Roku 3s 512 MB of memory when it tries to run some of the more bloated channel apps, and Prime and Netflix are two of the most bloated.

It may be time to retire those Roku 3s and update to a current model.  Everything but the bottom end non-4K Express has at least 2X the memory of the Roku 3, plus a faster processor.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
rrdoc
Reel Rookie

I've spent enough time on this.  I ordered two Roku Express 4Ks from Amazon $60 total, 2 day free shipping.  Still I hope Roku fixes the update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Wolfi622

This is good to know.  Have been having the same problem (Roku 3 and Prime).  Just ordered a Roku Ultra (have had the 3 for a long time).  Glad to read here that there is a good probability my suspicions were correct. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@rrdoc& @Wolfi622 -

You will be amazed at how fast and responsive your new Roku's will be in comparison with your Roku 3s.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.