Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phxrider
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku 3 - MicroSD Info Please

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
ahma60

Jump to solution

found slot inserted card plugged up and formatted thanks

0 Kudos
Stevearoo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just put a Kingston 8gb micro card in and my Roku 4230 will not see it. I’ve tried many combinations of power off and insert, power back on and vice versa, it won’t detect a card. Am I missing something since I’ve read others saying that card worked in a Roku 3.

0 Kudos
ahma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

on the roku 3 look at the back where all plugins are. It is the tiny slit just below the HDMI port, That is where the micro card goes

0 Kudos
markgeorg1234
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Ya think?????? I went through all of these posts just because I couldn’t get my ScanDisk 32GB microSD to get recognized. Nobody from Roku support helped it was all community members. Blows my mind how Roku recommends to get this card and then leaves people hanging out there to figure it out.

0 Kudos
musicislove
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

How are you doing with th card now?

Did it recognize?

It really does not help that much if you have good high speed internet.

Post how you are doing .

0 Kudos
JiRuiFu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My card continues to work just fine, although with a fast internet connection, as you noted, it doesn't seem to makes a lot of difference.

0 Kudos
ahma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is doing great. after unplugging all cords was easy to spot insertion point

0 Kudos
musicislove
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thats good idea to pull all the cords and inspect . 

Glad you got it figured out.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just so everyone is aware, Roku no longer sells an SD card for the older players that have the slot. They apparently don't feel the need any longer. As has been mentioned already, Roku players with an SD card slot cannot use just any old card. There's no reason to use a card larger than 4 GB, as the Roku will ignore any additional space. And the SD card does not make the Roku perform faster or make channels work better.

The SD card has one sole purpose: to provide additional channel storage space on the player. Some older Roku players have as little as 256 MB of channel storage, while the most recent models all have at least 1 GB (except the streambars have 512 MB). When you install more channels than you have storage space for, the player will offload the least used channel(s) until it has enough space for the new channel. Then if you want to run the offloaded channel, the player has to download and install it again, and it will offload the next least used channel again. So if you have more memory storage, you don't need to download and install the channel again. This makes a faster load for the less used channel(s), but other than that there's no benefit to installing the card. Unless you're constantly cycling through every channel you have installed on your Roku, the occasional delay to reinstall a seldom used channel simply isn't a big deal. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos