Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Well said.

Not that it makes any difference.

0 Kudos
lb48
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I agree completely with everyone who dislikes the "Categories" and "Browse" bars.  They are annoying and not necessary.  There should definitely be an option to remove them, so that if there is anyone out there who likes them they can keep them.  I just ordered a Roku stick as a Christmas gift.  I'm so annoyed at Roku at the moment that I think I will return it and order a different platform.  I had even considered a Roku tv, but that's a big investment for a product from a company that clearly misreads what their users want.  Please, Roku, do the right thing and fix this issue quickly.

familyuser

Jump to solution

I choose Roku because I can monitor what little eyes see in our home. It was already annoying to have horror films advertised on the sides. Now, my kids can access other channels because of these extra options. And yes, I have the PIN to install apps. But these extra "categories" and "browse" features don't require a pin. 
Seriously, Roku. Do better. I would have gotten cable if I wanted my family to have full access to ‌‌💩 shows. For over 10 years, we have had roku. This is so dumb.

Baenwort

Jump to solution

I don't use Apple and Google's options in this space because they have these forced recommendation bars and a lack of ability to remove the recommendation bars.

Roku has a place by being different, not the same as its competitors. 

This isn't a bad feature for some but it is for me. You should enable us turning this off just as we can with the power button and add channel features you created.

alfredborges
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

WELL Said,  

However,  I all I think the Asshats who made this change got from your feedback is

"We need to make the Roku apps uninstallable and lock them on the home page"

alfredborges
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have been using Roku  for what,  20 some years -  I had a purple Roku XS back in the day

switched over to FireTV a year ago  -   but with the EVEN WORSE changes Amazon made to its user interface,  I fired up my roku ultra for the first time in a year

The Fire TV interface is worse by a long shot, but the Roku folks are going to catch up

Rocoup

Jump to solution

Some of my most-used channels are on the last row, which used to be one click away from the initial cursor position, but now it's three clicks away.  My two-year-old Roku TV is twice as slow as my four-year-old Roku device (set hardware standards!), so the less I have to navigate, the better.  Even on the fastest Roku, I'm sure there are people with accessibility issues who use the last row this way.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just did a complete reorder of my channels after years of it suiting me so that I can avoid these new nonsense things on my homepage. Oops — I mean ROKU'S homepage, 'cuz obviously Roku wants it to satisfy Roku, not the user.

0 Kudos
geeteeL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  • Now they've added a "Categories" section and "Browse" section to the home screen. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?? I just want a clean home screen with the apps I select. This is probably why it took so long to come up with the option to remove the continue watching function. They were developing a new way to irritate their customers.
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Like others, I just signed in to express my frustration of having spam pushed down my throat by Roku. These useless categories on the Home Screen must go. I will never, ever follow what Roku recommends.

In addition, I also want to be able to disable/remove the item "Streaming Store" (like I can disable all other useless items) from the list. As I said, I will never, ever follow what Roku recommends.

Roku, you imposed on us your spam, you remove it.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.