Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

The idea of adding these senseless elements of visual clutter to a platform whose initial success was based on its clean interface is akin to beautifying your neighborhood by hanging disco balls and animal entrails from all the trees and throwing dog sh*t on everyone’s lawn. Roku, I understand your desire to pay people lots of money to ruin your product — it’s the new American Way — but until you ruin it entirely, won’t you please give us the option to remove your dog sh*t from our lawns? Thanks.

Stillhouse

Jump to solution

"No sir, I don't like it." - Mr. Horse, The Ren & Stimpy Show

sea375dw

Jump to solution

I also agree on the subject. There needs to be a way to disable those items fromn the Home Screen.

csbarbourv

Jump to solution

This is exactly what will drive me back to an AppleTV or an nvidia shield. Apparently that’s their goal?

tek54m
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What **bleep**! Forced viewing is the worst way to promote Roku! All about making more money! 

Arranger
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Spoiler
This is an opportunity for a competitor to develop its own streaming player and service to give Roku a run for its money. Roku is sewing the seeds of its own demise. Maybe some private equity group got a hold of Roku and wants to turn a quick short-term profit.
mikeOV

Jump to solution

I want the "categories & browse" clutter gone from my home screen too.  Expect it is feature that comes from subscribing to channels through roku .  So I have canceled renew on every subscription.   Unfortunately cannot remove the subscription icons either. 

The categories and browse features belong elsewhere,  like within the Roku Channel app (which sucks and I avoid) , not on the home screen.

I have had a roku on every TV owned by me for over 10 years, and given them as gifts too.  Guess they just do not appreciate their customers anymore.

Jump to solution

Add another to the list of users annoyed to have screen real estate eaten up by features I don't want, don't use, and can't turn off. 

EndGamerZ

Jump to solution

Users would appreciate if Roku stopped acting like Microsoft.  We do not want unwanted bloatware that we can not remove or disable.  The Roku community exists wholly due to the dissatisfaction with broadcast TV and the preferences of streaming services.

We know what we like and what we don't like.  Roku has plenty of channels and browsing options available to discover said channels.  We are not going to suddenly want to find Sports, News, Movie or Other discovery Options if we are already content.  These kind of changes in decision come from outside Roku.

Roku, don't become a negative meme of resentment for changing into what customers do NOT want.

CATMeT
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As of yesterday, this **bleep** has been added to my homepage on no less than 2 of my 7 Ultra 4670s. 

I haven't checked every other TV in the house yet because I don't want to get more annoyed and aggravated than I already am after spending two+ hours googling and playing with setting to make this **bleep** go away. Nothing does the trick. 

Therefore as a protest move I have now removed Roku Channel and Roku Live TV apps from all of my devices. Roku seems to not realize they are a guest in our homes. When a guest becomes totally obnoxious in your home it is time to see them to the door and revoke their welcome status.

Roku, I couldn't get rid of your unwanted **bleep** from my home page so I got rid of YOU. 

I suggest everyone reading exhibit their disdain with Roku shoving this **bleep** down our throats by doing the same thing.

Pat yourselves on the back, Roku Suits. You people are real geniuses.

When I turn on the TV one day and this annoying **bleep** has been removed from my home page I will consider reinstalling your two apps. Until such time you will remain persona non grata.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.