Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 003 can't update and only have blank screen

Roku has not shut down any servers. My home devices are updating just fine. I’m currently in a Vegas hotel and updated my Stick without any problems. I hate to point a finger, but it’s likely something to do with the dns settings on your home network. By default you are using whatever your ISP points to, but you can assign the DNS servers you prefer in your router. The steps to do that in your router can’t be provided here, mainly because there are far too many different devices to walk everyone through it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
IronSharpensIro
Reel Rookie

What DNS do you recommend I use then

0 Kudos
rickoneguy
Channel Surfer

Please tell me a primary DNS IP that works. This theory that it's the DNS seems dubious seeing as there are folk who have multiple devices on the same network, some that can update and some that cannot. I have set my DNS manually on my TPLink router to google 8.8.8.8 - no dice.

0 Kudos
dvoyage
Channel Surfer

I doubt Roku is a cartoon evil corporation now forcing everyone to buy new devices, but there is definitely an issue on their side. I've tested my broken device across 3 different networks and the result is identical - packets are sent out and I get nothing back. I used to be a network engineer and always assume I am the issue in any troubleshooting, but I'm convinced that in this instance Roku needs to go put another quarter in their update vending machine for us.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Do a web search for “best public DNS”. Google is good but not the highest ranking. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dvoyage
Channel Surfer

Hi there, I don't want the waters to get muddied here - changing DNS does not impact the issue.  I've tried three different ones across three different networks and the failure behavior is exactly the same.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, it was worth a shot. I can’t explain why mine have no problem, even here on a hotel network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dvoyage
Channel Surfer

You're right, it is worth testing! I thought something similar and tried a few myself to no avail. The entire internet is basically balancing on top of 8.8.8.8 so if all of a sudden it stopped resolving Roku URLs there would be some fantastic news worthy meltdowns.  This is the most active issue on the board, so its unlikely that all these folks across all these different devices are all using a borked DNS server.

My best running hypothesis is ghosts.

0 Kudos
rickoneguy
Channel Surfer

It's possible you only encounter this issue if you firstly do a factory reset before you try and update. Both the devices I am having the 003 issue with were factory reset first, then in the setup process they hit the 003 and I can go no further. Is it possible that the default firmware for these devices that it reverts to on a FR is calling a dead server?

0 Kudos
dvoyage
Channel Surfer

I think thats a good guess - I have not FR any other device and checked if the same happens. If I had a spare one lying around I wasn't afraid to brick I'd be happy to though lol

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.