Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJRicard
Channel Surfer

Private listening issue with android device

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with an android - Samsung S21 Ultra 5G - version 13. App constantly crashes when in private listening mode. Haven't seen an android owner on this thread so figured I'd let it be known that it's not only an iPhone issue. @RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private listening issue with android device

Jump to solution

@CJRicard 

Have you tried going into the Android settings and clearing the cache and all data before performing the uninstall?  Also verify that you are not running any firewall apps on on your Android device.

1. Go to your Android Settings, and then Apps.

2. Find the Roku mobile app. (Roku).

3. Select Force Stop, then Ok.

4. Select Storage.  If it gets stuck on Storage (ie. computing message), press Storage again.

5. Clear Cache.  Then clear Data.

6. Then back out to previous screen and select Uninstall.

7. Restart your phone.

8. Reinstall the Roku mobile app. 

----

Hate to see you have you reset a phone just for the Roku mobile app to work.  Private Listening works on my Android without issue, but is a Motorola with Android v7.1.1

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Saw your post @CJRicard,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community. We're sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with using private listening.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot private listening issues: How to resolve an issue with private listening | Official Roku Support

If the steps provided by the Support page still aren't helping, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
CJRicard
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Can I get a response regarding my roku app crash issue that completely disconnects my private listening? Have an android. Not iPhone. Do I need an iPhone to get a response from customer service?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CJRicard,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention regarding your issue with private listening using your android phone.

To resolve and isolate this issue, have you tried looking at our Support resources and following the steps to help resolve the private listening issue? How to resolve an issue with private listening | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@CJRicard-

I have a Samsung A42 5G, running Android 13, with Roku app version 8.11.1.1631740.  I use private listening almost every evening and have never experienced that problem.

Have you tried removing the app and reloading it?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
CJRicard
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@makaiguy I did. Tried to uninstall and reinstall but same issue happens. Not sure what's going on. But might need to completely reboot my phone to see if that works. Super odd, but if that doesn't work, might need to call customer support to get help.

0 Kudos
CJRicard
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F Thanks for the info but none of these apply to me. The app simply crashes every time I connect to private listening. Rendering the feature inoperable. Hopefully reseting my phone entirely works. If not, we've got an issue.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Before a complete phone reset see if this simpler process makes a difference:

Uninstall Roku app

Restart, not reset, phone

Reinstall Roku app

On a Roku itself a restart before reinstalling an app clears its memory cache and assures a clean reinstall.  Maybe that works for a phone too.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CJRicard 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing with the private listening feature on your Android device.

When using private listening with your Android device, are you minimizing the Roku mobile app or is the device falling asleep when this issue occurs? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue and what is happening on your Android device when this happens?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be more than happy to continue assist you. We look forward to hearing back your response.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CJRicard
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey @RokuDanny-R tried everything but reboot my phone. But before I did, used my wife's phone to see if it works on hers and sure enough, it worked seamlessly. App never crashed and private listening kept working. I reset all my connections, Bluetooth and Wifi. I even reset my router to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. Uninstalled the app, restarted my phone and re-downloaded app. However, nothing worked. So tomorrow, I'll be reseting my entire phone to see if it fixes whatever bug is causing my app to crash only on my phone. No other option I can think of at this point.

0 Kudos