Have you tried going into the Android settings and clearing the cache and all data before performing the uninstall? Also verify that you are not running any firewall apps on on your Android device.
1. Go to your Android Settings, and then Apps.
2. Find the Roku mobile app. (Roku).
3. Select Force Stop, then Ok.
4. Select Storage. If it gets stuck on Storage (ie. computing message), press Storage again.
5. Clear Cache. Then clear Data.
6. Then back out to previous screen and select Uninstall.
7. Restart your phone.
8. Reinstall the Roku mobile app.
Hate to see you have you reset a phone just for the Roku mobile app to work. Private Listening works on my Android without issue, but is a Motorola with Android v7.1.1
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102