Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ApAZ23
Reel Rookie

Please, how do I turn voice narration off?

It is NOT the voice reader. That has been off and checked so many times. I can not get the BET plus app to stop narrating. It does not read everything on screen like the voice reader it just narrates the show or movie I’m watching on what they are doing  (i.e Jon walks into the room and approaches April). I’ve uninstalled the app, restarted my TCL Roku Tv, and reinstalled the app. Nothing seems to work. I had this issue in another app of mine before. It just automatically started out of nowhere. I repeat it is NOT the screen reader. I’ve seen those discussion posts and tried the advice given. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Please, how do I turn voice narration off?

Right, it has nothing to do with the screen reader.  It's the audio track.  Some channels/apps handle the selection of the audio track in different ways, but look for an option to change it within the channel/app before you start a video or there should be an option you can get to by pressing the * button on your remote while the video is playing.  It would be under "Accessibility & captions".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ApAZ23
Reel Rookie

Thank you, but I’ve already tried that as well. Seems like nothing helps. 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi ApAZ23,

Thanks for the note.

Please be advised that channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to BET's customer support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their app that may allow the functionality you are looking for. 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
ApAZ23
Reel Rookie

I’ll definitely try that thank you! 

0 Kudos

Im having the exact se issue on both my roku tvs but not on my smart tv and ur right its deffinitly not the screen reader id like to know how to fix this as well

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Smbdiamond2002

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

To turn off the audio narrator, simply press the * button while the show is playing, then navigate to Accessibility and Captions. From there, select the Audio Track option and toggle between the different available English tracks until you find the one that doesn't include the narration.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
JT100UK

I've found it. Press the * and go to accessibility. Then audio track. Narrator is caused by selecting English AD or English audio description. Select regular English 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.