Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overheating because of using auto detect for my tv display capabilities.

I've been running the Roku 4K stick directly from the HDMI port and it's been working great.  With 4K no problems.  Roku automatically detected Display Type and it was set at 4K HDR+10 at 60 fps.  Today upgraded my internet and wifi to 1GB speeds.  With WiFi 6.   Now I'm getting the overheat message and buffering watching NFL game in 4K.  All I did was upgrade the internet speed...wondering if the increased speed is causing the problem?  Or WiFi 6 isn't supported with my stick?   Going to try and find a cable extender to see if this solves the problem. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Constant Buffering With 4K Content

Just started happening to me.  From a prior post as I just found this one....

I've been running the Roku 4K stick directly from the HDMI port and it's been working great.  With 4K no problems.  Roku automatically detected Display Type and it was set at 4K HDR+10 at 60 fps.  Today upgraded my internet and wifi to 1GB speeds.  With WiFi 6.   Now I'm getting the overheat message and buffering watching NFL game in 4K.  All I did was upgrade the internet speed...wondering if the increased speed is causing the problem?  Or WiFi 6 isn't supported with my stick?   Cable extender didn't solve problem.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Overheating because of using auto detect for my tv display capabilities.

Hello @tvwatcher1231

We appreciate you reaching out to the Roku community!

If you see a message on the screen mentioning overheating, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
FJWHEEL
Reel Rookie

Re: Overheating even with all reported fixes

Accout email is  [personal information removed]  serial number is cu3832939883

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Overheating even with all reported fixes

Hi @FJWHEEL,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are inquiring about your overheating issue, is that correct? Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue?

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot overheating issues: Official Roku Support | Roku

Note: Never post any personally identifiable, private, or sensitive information publicly, including passwords, email addresses, or payment information. Community content is visible to all Community members.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
joelab

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

What if you already have an extender installed and the unit is still overheating?

0 Kudos
FJWHEEL
Reel Rookie

Unplug it and throw it in the trash.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @joelab 

We're here to help!

Could you tell us more about your concern? What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried? Please also reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. This can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
moffeejw
Reel Rookie

I have had my Roku Streaming stick overheat and although I got an extender, it did not help.  It finally failed and I ended up returning as I only had it for a few months.  Took me a lot of back and forth with Roku Customer service but they finally sent me a new one.  I then put that on a TV I don't use much.  I had a Roku Ultra that was on that  bedroom TV  and I thought maybe moving it to my living room would handle the volume of TV I watch better.  

So fast forward a few months later and now this Roku Ultra gets hot enough that the sound on the streaming channels won't work at all.  I then unplug and effectively reboot it.  The Ultra is close to the TV but its not covering.  Gets hot but cools pretty fast however, now that it started doing this, it lasts only a few hrs and it has same issue again and again!  I do leave the channel on pause as I get interrupted a lot and don't want to stop and go out all the time. I know this is my fault!  I have old habits from cable...

So my question is, do you think the Nvidia Sheild would have the same problem?  Is it sturdier or less likely to overheating?  In the meantime, I have been trying to break my old bad habit, but I work from home so I get info sent to me at all different times that I need to stop for a little but or a lot depending.  

Thanks sorry for the long diatribe!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @moffeejw 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Please be advised that Roku devices tend to go warm since it's always plugged in. If you have tried all the suggestions in this support link: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message, reply here with the serial number of your Roku Ultra. This can be found in the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos