Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpringSt

Re: [OS 13] Automatic exit Guest Mode, bad firmware update.

I have about 250 Roku TVs between 2 properties, and they all are set to Guest Mode. We set the TVs up at one property about 1 year ago, and at the other property about 8 months ago. About 2 weeks ago, we're suddenly seeing the same issue pop up on multiple Roku TVs a day at both properties. After turning on the TV, it says "updating guest mode". then is says "restarting", then the TV restarts and it continues in this cycle.

I have been doing a factory reset for each TV and that seems to fix the issue, but just wondering if anyone might have insight on why this issue is happening suddenly with so many TVs across 2 properties?

Thank you.

Souciemm

I’m having the same problem.  I tried recovery mode and it went back to the same issue after recovery.

0 Kudos

Our property is experiencing the same issue on our TCL Roku TV's. We have 25 devices that all use Guest Mode and within the last week almost all of them have had this glitch happen. The only way to stop we were able to stop it from constantly restarting was to factory reset using the physical button on the TV. Some guests have reported that it started doing this while they were actively watching something. The factory reset is just a temporary fix though until it happens again a few days later. Will be looking back at this thread for when there's a fix!

happycactus
Reel Rookie

I had the same issue. I have 5 roku TV's in one of my homes (that is a short term rental). All of the TV's had this issue. I had to factory reset all of them. I am wondering if there was a software update that messed them all up. I am hesitant to use guest mode now because I don't want guests stuck with these issues.

0 Kudos
Rowku69

Same issue here. Turning off guest mode seems to solve the restart issue. Since there is no way to disable automatic updates it seems that the factory reset will only fix until the tv updates

0 Kudos
Palmshade

Same exact issue on two separate TCL 50" Roku TVs in two separate vacation rental homes, using different Internet and cable connections.  The chat-based "support" was completely useless.  Didn't understand what I was saying and wanted me to send "screen shots" (of what?? each of the screens as it cycled through?).  Moot point, as there is no feasible way to send screen shots via their chat app anyway.

Out of desperation (vacation renters want their TV!) I had to perform a factory reset on both TVs.  That appears to have resolved the issue for now at least, though of course I lost all my settings.

I agree that Roku must have pushed out some software update without proper quality checks. It's clearly not an isolated issue.  At the VERY least, they should let their chat "support" folks know that it's a known issue, and that a factory reset may be required if Roku can't come up with a better solution.

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Greetings from the Roku Community!

For all users who are still having an issue with their Roku TV/device being stuck in Guest mode, please provide us with the following details so that we can coordinate this with our Roku-appropriate team:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Providing these details, will help us to look closely into the issue. We look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Audryana

I’ve been having the same exact problem since Friday night 😠 

This TV is a TCL.  

0 Kudos
fullnelson70
Reel Rookie

You need to get this fixed NOW!!!!!

It is happening all the time on multiple vacation rentals.  What are you doing about it?  What is the fix?

I will have to stop using guest mode otherwise.  Pls respond.

0 Kudos
Hannah005
Reel Rookie

@Audryana If you look at the comment above yours they ask to provide serial number, model number, etc... I cant get to my property immediately to do this but if you want to share the details about your TCL it may help speed up the investigation.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.