Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loothor

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

BTW, because you seem to want to pretend this problem is related to the channels (I don't believe that, it happens with many apps I use on the Roku), I can tell you I have seen this behavior when entering both the Hulu and Amazon Prime apps, then exited the app, turned the captions to "On Always" using Settings->Accessibility, then had it revert to off again when I exit the app and start the other one.

Jump to solution

It doesn't matter which application or channel I use, they ALL are randomly switching off. I only subscribe to a few paid channels, none of the expensive ones. This started recently and randomly on any channel. The TV is set for CC. It is not a smart TV. Nothing has changed here, it has to be Roku.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to investigate the issue, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look into further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Carlaaa

Jump to solution

This has been happening for me too and it’s driving me nuts. Started in the last 2-3 months. Captions turn off when switching from ANY app to ANY other app.

C104X

TCL model 55S425

serial X0000076X5P8

software 11.0.0 build 4193-93

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

C252X

X00100M412S7

Software version 1100 • build 4193-ce

Captioning turns off when switching apps or between episodes most noticeably discovery+ (version 3.5 • build 1) and britbox (version3.0 • build 499)

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Carlaaa @heathen3131,

Thanks for providing the information needed!

We'll go ahead and send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once we have an update available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Brooksindy

Jump to solution

This happens on my TCL Roku TV 6109X on all Hulu channels. We even saw the closed captions suddenly quit showing in the middle of watching something two nights ago.

Nthuyn

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I always keep the captions on but in the last few weeks they automatically turn off on every platform. It’s annoying to keep changing this setting. What can be done to fix it? 

Delite
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just a quick suggestion that sometimes works try updating each specific app where you may see this issue. Asterisk--update on the remote on the main app screen.  Then power cycle the Roku. 

That said, HBO MAX still has issues with CC that come and go, along with trying to turn off and keep the settings for "do not play next episode". 

I recently subscribed to Showtime through Paramount+. I did have CC on Showtime within the Paramount+ app, then it disappeared, and no matter what I do, I cannot get it to come back. Even more frustrating, CC is still present on the base app of Paramount+. How can I have CC on Paramount+ (which I can turn on and off, or replay only) but not the Showtime app within the Paramount+ app? Weird. It has got to be a Showtime coding issue. 

I tried to load an independent Showtime app but it will not accept the Paramount sign-in so no way to check if that app has the issue.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Delite @Nthuyn,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:
-Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Once we get the necessary details, we will be able to transfer it to the proper Roku team to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.