Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Micolata
Reel Rookie

More parental controls - blocking downloads

Jump to solution

Roku TV - I have a 5 year old and have set all the parental settings, hid menu options, deleted channels, etc... She is still able to download apps I have deleted. Either there needs to be a setting to block downloads without a my pin, or the "streaming channels" menu link needs to be hide-able like the other menu items. It is absolutely driving me crazy that it's 2024 and this is still an issue. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: More parental controls - blocking downloads

Jump to solution

Hi @Micolata,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to manage parental controls on the Roku device.

We currently do not offer a global parental control setting to restrict access to content across all streaming channels. Hence, you can configure access limits based on ratings in certain situations. But we have parental control over The Roku channel and the Roku PIN feature.

For more information, read about this: How to block content using parental controls | Official Roku Support.

Feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, @Micolata.

We're sorry to hear that your 5-year-old child can reinstall the deleted channels on your Roku device.

Since we currently do not offer a global parental control setting to restrict access to content across all streaming channels. Roku PIN allows you to control what can be purchased and added to your Roku streaming device. It can also be a parental control feature to keep children from watching certain content on The Roku Channel.

Note: The PIN controls apply only to subscriptions purchased directly from Roku or The Roku Channel.

Use the following instructions to create or reset your Roku PIN:

• Sign in to your Roku account
  • Under PIN Preference, select Update
  • To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN
  • To reset an existing Roku PIN, select Change PIN

On the other hand, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We value your feedback as our valued customer. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services.

We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Once again, thank you so much for your feedback; we value your input.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Micolata-

Have you set a PIN on your Roku account and required it to be entered when installing a channel app?

https://my.roku.com/account/pin

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Micolata,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to manage parental controls on the Roku device.

We currently do not offer a global parental control setting to restrict access to content across all streaming channels. Hence, you can configure access limits based on ratings in certain situations. But we have parental control over The Roku channel and the Roku PIN feature.

For more information, read about this: How to block content using parental controls | Official Roku Support.

Feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tandlweiss

Jump to solution

There needs to be a way to hide mature content from the search results on the main home page. 

Ldubbs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hard agree. Parental controls are lacking. The 4 digit pin has work around. The app on the phone isn't secure and easily changed without so much as pin or password, anything. 

I've heard fire tv has better controls and I'm considering dumping roku for competitor if the don't step their game up. 

Disappointed in these major companies who only seem to care abt profit. 

Protect the kids!!!! 

Ldubbs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hard agree. 

Roku has terrible parental controls. 

Live tv shows still have audio in background while asking for a pin and they advertise channels such as bad girls club and that can't be turned off...I can hide the channel, but it's easily changed without pin. It's almost like roku wants to expose our kids.... 

Kg924793

Jump to solution

That DOES NOT PREVENT an app being accessed. Do you not read the comments you are replying to? Parents want a way to block an app all together. It would be a VERY SIMPLE code to require a pin to download an app onto your device. 

i am slowly getting rid of my Roku products because AFTER THREE YEARS of multiple parents requesting better controls you have DONE NOTHING to provide that to us! 

Micolata
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How about you address the actual issue instead of promoting your own channel and app in your replies?? My 5 year old can just reinstall an app I deleted without any kind of pin. All she has to do is click on a suggested program and it takes her to the page to install the app. Why are those suggestions even there?? Your company is not listening. We want improvements. I will never buy another Roku product if this isn't taken seriously. The PIN doesn't do anything!

Micolata
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There is no option for that on my TV. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, @Micolata.

We're sorry to hear that your 5-year-old child can reinstall the deleted channels on your Roku device.

Since we currently do not offer a global parental control setting to restrict access to content across all streaming channels. Roku PIN allows you to control what can be purchased and added to your Roku streaming device. It can also be a parental control feature to keep children from watching certain content on The Roku Channel.

Note: The PIN controls apply only to subscriptions purchased directly from Roku or The Roku Channel.

Use the following instructions to create or reset your Roku PIN:

• Sign in to your Roku account
  • Under PIN Preference, select Update
  • To set up a PIN, select Create a PIN
  • To reset an existing Roku PIN, select Change PIN

On the other hand, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We value your feedback as our valued customer. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services.

We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Once again, thank you so much for your feedback; we value your input.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.