Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Inconsistent viewing of Roku

Jump to solution

I've had Roku for 3 days. Watched it for about 3 hours. Sometimes I can go to the HDMI and select and it goes to Roku. Other times it will not let me choose. The last thing I do is disconnect for 10 minutes. Press restart and maybe it works. I've done so many different things I am not sure what I am doing anymore!!!

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Re: Inconsistent viewing of Roku

Jump to solution

thanks, I'll try that

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Patience1945-

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You may be powering your Roku via a USB port on your TV that shuts down when the TV is turned off.  That means the Roku must fully boot up from a power off condition each time you turn on the TV.  If your TV boots up and checks its HDMI ports before the Roku boots up far enough to establish its HDMI connection the TV may report "no signal".

Keeping the Roku powered up will eliminate this, as well as enabling it to receive updates during odd hours.  Some TVs have a setting as to whether to keep the USB port powered when the TV is shut down, but most do not.  You can also keep the Roku powered by plugging it into house power using a USB power adapter. If your Roku didn't come with a USB adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

2. If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.  More info on this setting:  https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That sounds like good advice and it makes sense!!! I'll try that.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Patience1945-

For the sake of others finding this thread, WHAT did you find worked for you?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

18 REPLIES 18
lmacmil2
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Is your Roku plugged directly into your TV (brand and model) or does it go into a receiver and then the TV?  Take us through the steps to turn on the TV and watch through the Roku.  Also, what other devices are plugged into the TV (or receiver).

Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for answering. My TV is an LG (not Smart TV), the only device connected is the receiver for Direct TV. The Roku is plugged directly into my TV.  I turn my TV on with my direct TV remote. So, I turn my TV on, go to the input on my TV remote, hold until the screen comes up on the left-HDMI is on, I switch to HDMI2 to get to Roku. Sometimes when I turn my TV on, NO SIGNAL shows up, I then restart the Roku through the Roku remote . Turn the TV off, then it works. 

0 Kudos
lmacmil2
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't really have a solution for you.  I wonder if there is an order of turning things on, selecting inputs, etc., that consistently works or consistently doesn't.  Does the TV stay on the same HDMI input when you turn it off and back on or does it always revert to HDMI 1?  You'll have to experiment and see if you can find a sequence that works.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

ok, thanks for answering. So, I should restart first. The small white light is always on the Roku. I dont think this is correct. I could check my settings but, I am inclined to believe that these are ok, since I get to it eventually. I'm going to restart and leave it on to see if it stays without turning anything else on. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
lmacmil2
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The white light on my Roku is off when I'm not watching through it.  I assume you always go back to the Roku home screen when you finish streaming.  The Roku goes into a sleep mode after some period of time on the home screen.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It sounds like you're losing HDMI sync with the Roku when the TV is turned off. It should resync when it's turned on, but it seems yours isn't doing that. It could be a bad HDMI cable, a problem with the TV, or a problem with the Roku. The first thing I'd try is to connect the Roku to a  different port if you have another available HDMI port. Or perhaps swap ports with the DirecTV port. If the problem remains, then it's either the cable or the Roku. 

You didn't mention what model Roku you have (it would be good to know the model number), but this isn't by any means a common issue. So I really wouldn't expect the Roku itself to be an issue. Since you mentioned your TV isn't a "smart" model, that might mean it's an older model. All electronic devices age, and with age problems can occur. I'm not saying the TV is the problem, but it's certainly one more possibility. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for answering. I have a 2023 4 K express with voice remote. I do not have an available port and prefer not to switch it with my Direct TV. I am open to replacing the HDMI cable. Can I just walk into Walmart with the current one and get a new one?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Patience1945 wrote:

I am open to replacing the HDMI cable. Can I just walk into Walmart with the current one and get a new one?

No need to take the current cable with you, as all HDMI cables have the same connection (as long as it's not marked as an extension cable). The only difference between different cables is usually their speed rating, meaning that some cables are rated for 10 Gbps, while others might be rated at 18 Gbps or greater. If you watch a lot of 4K content, an 18 Gbps cable might work better, but then I've never bothered checking the speed label on any of my cables. I use some inexpensive Amazon Basics HDMI cables on both my 4K Roku and Shield players and have no issues with any content. I would simply suggest avoiding any bargain bin cables. But even some rather inexpensive brands will still carry a certification sticker on the box. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

thanks, I'll try that

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.