Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Re: Inconsistent viewing of Roku

Jump to solution

Well, I am cautiously optimistic, I went to Walmart and bought a replacement HDMI cable. Hooked it up and was able to move the Roku further away from all of my Direct TV stuff ( do not  know if that has anything to do with it) But, all things seem to be ok, now!!!  Thanks to all of you for your help, fingers crossed this is really it!!!

Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Ok, Roku community- So , I replaced the HDMI cable and it worked once. I went back just now and tried it again. Now I turn the TV on, hold the Input button on the Direct TV remote to get to the next screen. I can switch over to HDMI 2 (for Roku) and "No signal" comes up.  I find myself constantly "unfreezing" the Roku with the Roku remote. What now???

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Patience1945 wrote:

Now I turn the TV on, hold the Input button on the Direct TV remote to get to the next screen. I can switch over to HDMI 2 (for Roku) and "No signal" comes up.  I find myself constantly "unfreezing" the Roku with the Roku remote. What now???

That doesn't sound like the issue you were having before. This sounds like the Roku has gone to "sleep" and hitting a button on the remote is waking it up. Is this accurate? You don't need to power cycle the Roku to get the signal back? If that's accurate, then it sounds like normal operation. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lmacmil2
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

When you turn on the TV the Roku is asleep (the white LED is off) and therefore you get "no signal" when switching to the Roku  HDMI input.  So you should hit the Roku home button to wake it up before you turn on the TV or before you switch to the Roku HDMI input.  See if that works consistently.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Patience1945-

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You may be powering your Roku via a USB port on your TV that shuts down when the TV is turned off.  That means the Roku must fully boot up from a power off condition each time you turn on the TV.  If your TV boots up and checks its HDMI ports before the Roku boots up far enough to establish its HDMI connection the TV may report "no signal".

Keeping the Roku powered up will eliminate this, as well as enabling it to receive updates during odd hours.  Some TVs have a setting as to whether to keep the USB port powered when the TV is shut down, but most do not.  You can also keep the Roku powered by plugging it into house power using a USB power adapter. If your Roku didn't come with a USB adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

2. If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.  More info on this setting:  https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That sounds like good advice and it makes sense!!! I'll try that.

0 Kudos
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Once again, this works. I feel like all of my issues are finally resolved!!! Thanks to all.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Patience1945-

For the sake of others finding this thread, WHAT did you find worked for you?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Patience1945
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I replaced the HDMI power supply with a longer cord and plugged it into a wall outlet. I also changed the factory setting on the Roku to not turn off after 20 minutes of "no use". 

I am not really that tech savvy and the Roku community was very helpful!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.