Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to watch MP4 video on LAN connected Roku from WIN7 desktop computer?

I can confirm that Chromecast from the Chrome browser does not work.

Cast tab
Roku Ultra
Available for specific sites
the above is grayed out and can not be clicked

I'm trying to video the MP4 video from a DJI quadcopter on my big screen TV.  The computer and Roku Ultra are both on the same LAN. (not using wireless).

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to watch MP4 video on LAN connected Roku from WIN7 desktop computer?

@Brooke-Forest 

I think the easiest method for Win7 may be to install Plex Media Server on the desktop and your Roku device to view your drone footage.  May take a little configuring but once setup, I have found this to be a pretty easy method to use.

Since Plex has a channel for the Roku platform, you can then watch two ways. (both require your desktop to be on and the Plex server running).  You can view your content from the Plex Channel, or by using the Roku Media Player. (when using the Roku Media Player, you will see Plex listed as an available Media Server running over DLNA).

I still have Win7 on a desktop in a dual boot mode with Linux, so I don't use it often, but this is the route I took when first using Roku.  I was only only able to get Windows Media Player to work sporadically with my Roku devices and when I just tested now, I can see the WMP as an available Media Server but can't get anything to play, but my Plex Media Server is still working fine in this manner when I booted to Win7.

There are a couple of quirks with Plex and Win7 so I posted some links below that will answer some questions if you go this route. (ie. Plex won't load from shortcut menu when using desktop, etc - you need to use the hidden icon near the address bar and select "Open Plex Server".)

When setting up Plex on your desktop, it presents some paid options.  Just close the box and proceed with the free version. 

----

Plex for Roku (https://channelstore.roku.com/details/68e8d568fdd68a1197a2b9a5f69e16c0/plex-free-movies-and-tv)

Plex for Win7 download (https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/)

Some tips/troubleshooting...

(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/plex-media-server-with-...)

https://forums.plex.tv/t/pms-0-9-9-11-will-not-launch-win7/68138

----

Of course, you could always just place your video on a USB flash drive, insert it into the Ultra, and then use the Roku Media Player to view it also. (https://support.roku.com/article/208754908)

Feel free to post an update or if you have more questions.  Many others here have more familiarity with the other media servers and setups so can likely provide you additional alternatives as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

You can't screen mirror a Windows computer that doesn't have a WiFi card installed. Even if you're on a wired connection, the computer requires a WiFi card to enable Miracast, which is the protocol Windows uses to cast their screen to another device. My Windows laptop does it just fine, but my desktop computers don't have WiFi so it's not possible to cast the screen.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AvsGunnar

@atc98092 is correct regarding the wireless adapter support required for Miracast.

Miracast isn't natively supported in Win7 though. (introduced in Win 8.x).  Was never able to get Miracast to work on mine because I have an AMD architecture PC.  There were some workarounds with installing Intel Widi (wireless display adapter) that would then add miracast support to compatible architectures and wireless cards/adapters.

However, with the Chromium Cast tab, option to Cast seems limited to supported websites, and not local content on hard-drive.

I have a DLink DWA-182 USB wireless adapter for my PC (only works with Windows), and receive the same message as @Brooke-Forest.  Only able to cast certain sites, not local content on hard-drive.  However, can also cast the same sites using the ethernet PC connection to the ethernet Roku.

Basically, as long as on a compatible site (ie. Youtube) using Chrome browser, then the Roku device becomes visible (able to cast) whether using the wired or wireless connection in Win7.  If not compatible, the Roku Ultra is visible, but greyed out until you navigate to a compatible site.

Today has actually been the longest I have used Windows in a long time.  It was a good refresher.  Kind of reminded me why I liked Win7 but similarly, why I no longer care for Windows.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.