Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoldenTrio
Channel Surfer

Re: How to change Roku home screen app display from 4 columns back to 3

I hope you are correct!  I see this as a big issues with total indifference to people with disabilities.

I agree, it was handled badly!

thomas_z24
Reel Rookie

Will all TV brands be restored to the original display? I'm still seeing the 4 rows.

MikieAC
Channel Surfer

Have you tried rebooting or upgrading your software? 

0 Kudos
MichVet
Binge Watcher

they changed mine back as well, got up and back to 3 wide.  So much nicer

0 Kudos
thomas_z24
Reel Rookie

I have tried both with no change. TLC and ONN Tvs

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users!

Thanks for posting here in this discussion.

We appreciate you sharing this information with us and the feedback regarding this concern. There will be channel tile user preference settings in the next software update to provide Roku streamers with a better experience on the Roku platform. Rest assured that we have taken note of the feedback.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Mmmart
Channel Surfer

I feel bad recommending Roku to my family previously. Just got a flex from Comcast and it’s a big improvement. Roku says the next update will include a choice but why can’t it go back to 3 across until that release? Especially since the 4 across wasn’t an update. Roku really dropped the ball and as a result will lose customers such as us. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I got one of those streaming players from Comcast and it's worthless in my opinion. No way to stream local media, no support for Dolby Vision, although I think it did support HDR10. It's just sitting in a box, and if I was paying for it I'd return it in a heartbeat. Since I didn't pay anything for it, it just sits there. It can't touch what a Roku can do, let alone what my Shield players can do. Even the $20 Onn 4K Streaming player from Walmart is a vast improvement over the Comcast player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jimsz
Streaming Star

I won't recommend Roku any longer and in fact have dissuaded others from buying.

I need to update one of my Rokus as it is older and am trying to decide what to try either Wal Marts Onn or Apple TV. They burned users with these nonsensical "additions" and are just letting the complaints drop away. Does anyone actually believe Roku can't push an update out to get the icons back to 3 across or get rid of the "continue" row?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, I completely believe Roku will add the setting to change between 3x3 and 4x4. I don't expect them to allow removing the Continue Watching, as they feel there is value added for that function. I could be wrong though, as they do allow hiding many of the items shown on the home screen now.

Unfortunately, they did a very poor job of testing these changes. It should have remained within their beta test group, but unfortunately they didn't even include it there. I have several of my devices in the beta group, and none received the 4x4 screen. This was not well executed for a test. 

You mentioned both the Walmart Onn media player and the Apple TV. They both have their pluses and minuses. Many people don't like the user interface of the Apple device, and they don't care for being locked into the Apple universe. The Onn 4K Media Player is a decent Android based device, although it's lacking some features that are available on the Roku, Apple TV, or even some other Android based players. What the Onn has going for it is an extremely low price. I have the first generation version, and many other users have reported the remote failing within a matter of months. Since it's a Bluetooth remote, it can't be replaced with an inexpensive universal IR remote, as I don't believe the Onn has an IR receiver. The Onn has the Google TV user interface, and some people are quite annoyed by the size of the ads that appear on the screen, and they can't be removed. Roku has ads as well, but they don't take up as much of the screen.

No other streaming player on the market has the variety of apps available as the Roku. There are some that can only be found on Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.